This healthy and rustic cherry mug cake is super easy to make, and bakes in the microwave! There is no added sugar, and it is full of healthy gout foods that taste amazing and are okay to eat on a gout diet! Check out this delicious dessert gout recipe!
Gout Friendly Recipes:
Why is it so difficult to find good gout recipes online?! I have a loved one who suffers from occasional gout attacks, and I find it SO difficult to find tasty and reliable recipes! ESPECIALLY gout dessert recipes. There are pretty much none out there. This healthy cherry mug cake is made from cherries, sunflower seeds, flax seed meal, bananas, eggs and baking powder. ALL of these ingredients (except maybe the baking powder) are known to be beneficial to a person who has gout, and some can even help prevent gout attacks!
If you are looking for a mug that will be large enough for this recipe, this is the kind I use! CorningWare 20-Ounce Meal Mug
The Ingredients And How They Work With Gout:
|Cherries:||If you google ‘foods that can help prevent gout attacks’, cherries are pretty much number one. Tart cherries, to be specific. Cherries have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, hypouricemic effects, and the ability to downregulate NFkB-mediated osteoclastogenesis (1).|
|Sunflower Seeds||Sunflower seeds are low in purines and high in fiber, making them a wonderful seed for people with gout! They are also a great plant based protein source.|
|Flaxseed Meal||Two tablespoons of flaxseed meal contains more than 140% daily value of the inflammation-reducing omega-3 fatty acids. They are also high in fiber and lignans. Lignans have antioxidant properties, and have been considered to potentially lower the risk of some cancers. (2)|
|Bananas||Bananas are high in vitamin C, and low in purines. Vitamin C may help to lower uric acid levels.|
|Egg Whites||Eggs are naturally low in purines, and are a great gout-friendly protein source!|
(1) Collins, M. W., Saag, K. G., & Singh, J. A. (2019). Is there a role for cherries in the management of gout?. Therapeutic advances in musculoskeletal disease, 11, 1759720X19847018. https://doi.org/10.1177/1759720X19847018
(2) Lowcock EC, Cotterchio M, Boucher BA. Consumption of flaxseed, a rich source of lignans, is associated with reduced breast cancer risk. Cancer Causes Control. 2013 Apr;24(4):813-6. doi: 10.1007/s10552-013-0155-7. Epub 2013 Jan 25. PMID: 23354422.
How TO Make This Sugar Free Mug Cake:
This is such an easy healthy dessert recipe! The only sugars in this recipe come naturally from the frozen cherries and mashed banana. It’s important to note that it doesn’t taste sugary at all (because there is no added sugar), so if you LIKE sugary desserts, try adding some honey to the recipe. Or, top it with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream (that’s what I did)!
Using a hand blender, blend together the banana, frozen cherries (fresh are fine too) and egg whites. In a separate bowl, combine the flaxseed meal, baking powder and ground sunflower seeds. If you don’t have sunflower seeds, you can substitute almond meal.
Mix together the dry and wet ingredients in a microwave safe LARGE mug. Mix them well, so they are fully combined. Place the mug in the microwave and microwave for 3-3.5 minutes! Now you are ready to enjoy this sugar free mug cake!
Who Will Enjoy Low Sugar Desserts:
As I mentioned, this recipe does NOT taste sugary. So if you are used to double chocolate mousse cakes and funfetti cupcakes, you might not like this! But if you are looking for an easy low sugar dessert recipe that is both tasty and good for you, than you are going to love this! Sugar free desserts for diabetics frequently take a while to make. This recipe is great because it really only takes a few minutes to come together. People on a gout diet will also really enjoy this dessert, because it combines all ingredients that are low in purines and high in anti-inflammatory properties. It’s an easy dessert with cherries, so people who suffer from any inflammatory disease, such as interstitial cystitis or other arthritis’s may also benefit from it!
Healthy Cherry Mug Cake
- immersion blender or regular blender
- 10 frozen tart cherries (or fresh, pitted)
- 1 medium banana
- 3/4 cup raw, shell free sunflower seeds (or almond meal)
- 1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs whites only
- In a bowl or immersion blender cup, blend together the cherries, egg whites and banana. You can also do this in a blender. Blend until a smoothie-like consistancy.
- In your large microwave safe bowl, combine the flax seed meal, ground sunflower seeds (or almond meal) and baking powder.
- Pour in the cherry mixture, and mix until the wet and dry ingredients are fully combined.
- Place the mug in the microwave and microwave on high for 3 to 3.5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy! This mug cake goes GREAT with a scoop of sugar free icecream!
- As mentioned, this cake is not very sugary tasting at all. If you prefer it to be sweeter, try adding about 2 tbsp of honey to the mixture.
Did you like my gout recipes? If so, you should go check out my One Pot Chicken And Lentil Stew recipe!
One Pot Chicken and Lentil Stew With Orange Yogurt Marinade : This one pot chicken and lentil stew recipe tastes light, healthy and tangy. Lentils are one legume that you should absolutely always have in your pantry. One cup of dried green lentils has 44 grams of protein and 68 grams of fiber! They are …