This healthy and rustic cherry mug cake is super easy to make, and bakes in the microwave! There is no added sugar, and it is full of healthy gout foods that taste amazing and are okay to eat on a gout diet! Check out this delicious dessert gout recipe!
Gout Friendly Recipes:
Why is it so difficult to find good gout recipes online?! I have a loved one who suffers from occasional gout attacks, and I find it SO difficult to find tasty and reliable recipes!
ESPECIALLY gout dessert recipes. There are pretty much none out there.
This healthy cherry mug cake is made from cherries, sunflower seeds, flax seed meal, bananas, eggs and baking powder. ALL of these ingredients (except maybe the baking powder) are known to be beneficial to a person who has gout, and some can even help prevent gout attacks!
If you are looking for a mug that will be large enough for this recipe, this is the kind I use! CorningWare 20-Ounce Meal Mug
The Ingredients And How They Work With Gout:
|If you google ‘foods that can help prevent gout attacks’, cherries are pretty much number one. Tart cherries, to be specific. Cherries have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, hypouricemic effects, and the ability to downregulate NFkB-mediated osteoclastogenesis (1).
|Sunflower seeds are low in purines and high in fiber, making them a wonderful seed for people with gout! They are also a good source of plant based protein.
|Two tablespoons of flaxseed meal contains more than 140% daily value of the inflammation-reducing omega-3 fatty acids. They are also high in fiber and lignans. Lignans have antioxidant properties, and have been considered to potentially lower the risk of some cancers. (2)
|Bananas are high in vitamin C, and low in purines. Vitamin C may help to lower uric acid levels.
|Eggs are naturally low in purines, and are a great gout-friendly protein source!
(1) Collins, M. W., Saag, K. G., & Singh, J. A. (2019). Is there a role for cherries in the management of gout?. Therapeutic advances in musculoskeletal disease, 11, 1759720X19847018. https://doi.org/10.1177/1759720X19847018
(2) Lowcock EC, Cotterchio M, Boucher BA. Consumption of flaxseed, a rich source of lignans, is associated with reduced breast cancer risk. Cancer Causes Control. 2013 Apr;24(4):813-6. doi: 10.1007/s10552-013-0155-7. Epub 2013 Jan 25. PMID: 23354422.
This quick and delicious toast recipe is a great way to start your day off on the right foot! Rich, sweet and juicy berries are paired with mild and creamy ricotta cheese, and are then topped with peppery fresh basil. This blueberry strawberry ricotta toast recipe is definitely going to be your new favorite breakfast …
How TO Make This Sugar Free Mug Cake:
This is such an easy healthy dessert recipe! The only sugars in this recipe come naturally from the frozen cherries and mashed banana.
*It’s important to note that it doesn’t taste sugary at all (because there is no added sugar), so if you LIKE sugary desserts, try adding some honey to the recipe. Or, top it with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream (that’s what I did)!
Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and instructions!
- Using a hand blender, blend together the banana, frozen cherries (fresh are fine too) and egg whites.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flaxseed meal, baking powder and ground sunflower seeds. If you don’t have sunflower seeds, you can substitute almond meal.
3. Mix together the dry and wet ingredients in a microwave safe LARGE mug. Mix them well, so they are fully combined.
4. . Place the mug in the microwave and microwave for 3-3.5 minutes! Now you are ready to enjoy this sugar free mug cake!
Who Will Enjoy Low Sugar Desserts:
As I mentioned, this recipe does NOT taste sugary. So if you are used to double chocolate mousse cakes and funfetti cupcakes, you might not like this! But if you are looking for an easy low-sugar dessert recipe that is both tasty and good for you, then you are going to love this!
I would like to mention that I am NOT a doctor or dietitian, so please consult with yours with any questions and before changing your diet.
More Healthy Desserts
If you like this recipe, you will love these other healthy desserts!
Did you make this recipe? It would mean so much to me if you would rate it below the recipe card and tag me in your creation on Instagram so I can admire your work! @RecipeHippie
Healthy Cherry Mug Cake
- immersion blender or regular blender
- 10 frozen tart cherries (or fresh, pitted)
- 1 medium banana
- 3/4 cup raw, shell free sunflower seeds (or almond meal)
- 1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs whites only
- In a bowl or immersion blender cup, blend together the cherries, egg whites and banana. You can also do this in a blender. Blend until a smoothie-like consistancy.
- In your large microwave safe bowl, combine the flax seed meal, ground sunflower seeds (or almond meal) and baking powder.
- Pour in the cherry mixture, and mix until the wet and dry ingredients are fully combined.
- Place the mug in the microwave and microwave on high for 3 to 3.5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy! This mug cake goes GREAT with a scoop of sugar free icecream!
- As mentioned, this cake is not very sugary tasting at all. If you prefer it to be sweeter, try adding about 2 tbsp of honey to the mixture.
Did you like my gout recipes? If so, you should go check out my One Pot Chicken And Lentil Stew recipe!
This one pot chicken and lentil stew recipe is a light and healthy one pot meal that’s bursting with creamy and zesty deliciousness! The chicken is marinaded with a variety of healthy, anti-inflammatory spices, yogurt and tangy orange juice for a mouthwatering healthy meal that the whole family will love! What Is Lentil Stew? There …