What if I told you that you can make a DELICIOUS chocolaty, soft and chewy dessert made almost entirely of chickpeas and peanut butter?! Ohh, and they’re flourless. Ohh, and they’re so good that you will look like Kobyashi at a hot dog eating contest cramming these blondies into your pie hole. You would probably tell me I’m nuts. But that’s all true with these vegan chickpea blondies!
Vegan desserts have always amazed me. It truly is astounding how you can use whole foods to make delectable and deceivingly scrumptious desserts. These blondies tastes like a chocolate peanut butter brownie, but less sweet. The best part is, you can eat the entire dish of vegan chickpea blondies in one sitting, and all that would pretty much mean is that you ate an entire can of chickpeas and 1/2 a cup of peanut butter!
What Makes These Vegan Blondies Different?
This recipe is amazing because it gives you the creative liberty to make these blondies however you like. Adding raspberries or blueberries would add a beautiful pop of color and would enhance the natural sweetness that the honey/agave nectar provides. You can sprinkle shredded coconut or caramel over the top. I have even tossed in pecans and chamomile into the batter! Get creative with what you have. All of these ingredients are shelf stable, so this is one recipe you want to keep in your back pocket for when you are craving a delicious vegan dessert, but want to keep it healthy!
- Try not to over cook them. You want them to be a little gooey. Overcooking them brings out more of a ‘burnt chickpea’ taste…which is definitely not something you want to taste any time soon, trust me.
- Since they will be very soft, please try to refrain from cutting them immediately. (This will be very difficult, but you must resist.)
- If you want to make this 100% vegan, just swap out the honey for agave nectar or maple syrup.
- Pop these bad boys in the fridge for a cold blondie! This hardens them up and is PERFECT for those hot summer nights (or mornings…. or afternoons).
When To Serve These Healthy Peanut Butter Blondies:
So, what I like to do is serve this recipe to my ‘picky eater‘ friends. You know, those friends who only order chicken tenders when they go out. THOSE FRIENDS. I tell them its a blondie, but casually omit the part about the entire blondie being made of chick peas and peanut butter…Then I wait for the “OMG these taste amazing, how did you make them?!” questions and run with it! I live for the utter shock on their faces when they realize this dessert is not only refined sugar free, but it is HEALTHY for you!
They make a great healthy weeknight snack and are also a crowd pleaser to bring to parties! Just make sure to double the recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions:
|Are these blondies low sugar?||No, unfortunately they are not. The honey alone has about 92 grams of sugar in it. But sugar from naturally occurring sources like honey is better for you and does not raise blood sugar levels as quickly as refined sugar.|
|Why is this a healthy recipe?||Well, for one, there is no refined sugar in it. Chickpeas are rich in many nutrients that our bodies need and chickpeas and peanut butter are a good source of plant based protein.|
|Should I cook them longer?||NO! They may seem a bit soft after baking for 25 minutes, but if you over cook them they will burn. I don’t know about you, but I do NOT like the flavor of burnt chickpeas! If you want to firm them up a bit, pop them in the refrigerator. They taste amazing cold as well as hot!|
Vegan Chickpea Blondies
- Food processor or blender
- 1 15.5oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup nut butter (I used smooth peanut butter)
- 1/3 cup honey/agave/maple syrup (use agave or maple syrup for vegan)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp raspberry extract (optional)
- Feel free to add any berries or toppings to this list!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 by 9 baking dish with non stick cooking spray or coconut oil. If you want thicker blondies, use a smaller baking dish and adjust cooking time accordingly .
- In a food processor or blender, combine chickpeas, peanut butter, honey/agave, vanilla extract, raspberry extract (optional), baking powder, baking soda and salt. Process until a paste forms, about 60 seconds.
- Now fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the mixture evenly in sprayed baking dish. Sprinkle a handful of chocolate chips over the top and any other toppers you want.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, until the edges are brown and a tooth pick can go in and out of of the blondies without any batter sticking to it. The blondies will be soft; this is okay!
- Let sit for 20 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy!
- If you want firmer bars, pop them in the refrigerator!
Did you like my ‘Vegan Chickpea Blondies’ recipe? If so, go check out my ‘Vegan Lemon Rice Soup‘ recipe!
Brighten up a cold day with this delicious and comforting vegan lemon rice soup! The healthy ingredients used not only contribute to the soups delicious flavor, but they also have many nutritional benefits, making this a great soup if you are feeling under the weather. Why Vegan? Why not?! I know, I know…chicken noodle soup …