This easy oven roasted beef tenderloin recipe yields succulent and delicious slices of beef tenderloin every time! This tender and lean cut of beef deserves the best treatment possible, and slow roasting the beef allows you to keep it medium-rare while preserving its subtle yet decedent flavor.
How To Cook A Beef Tenderloin In The Oven:
Beef tenderloin is an extremely tender piece of meat that has trace amounts of fat marbling. It’s low fat content means that it has a milder flavor. It also means that it can be easier to overcook the meat, because it does not have a layer of fat insulating it as it is roasted. Cooking perfect beef tenderloin is not difficult, but it does require some attention to detail.
Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and instructions!
It is as simple as this:
- Brush the meat with good, high quality olive oil.
- Generously salt and pepper the filet of beef.
- Place tarragon, rosemary or thyme sprigs around the beef and tie it with kitchen string.
- Roast the meat at 275 degrees Fahrenheit for about 1.5 hours until the meat registers 135 degrees (for medium-rare).
- Let it rest, then serve!
What To Serve With Beef Tenderloin:
Because beef tenderloin has a milder flavor, it is frequently served with flavor boosters like bacon or strong, condensed sauces. In this recipe, I chose to serve my oven roasted beef tenderloin with a basil mayonnaise. To be honest, I didn’t really like it, hence why it is not a part of this recipe!
Don’t get me wrong, perfectly seasoned filet of beef it TOTALLY fine by itself! I actually prefer it that way. But if you would like to serve it with a complimentary accompaniment, I recommend finding a good horse radish sauce or red wine reduction to go along with it. As for vegetables, you can’t go wrong with roasted carrots and mashed potatoes!
Frequently Asked Questions:
|How long do I need to roast the meat?||I purchased a 3.5 pound filet of beef, and it took 1.5 hours to cook. But I DID open the oven frequently for the sides, so this may be why it took that long (which you’re not supposed to do, but hey, I’m only human!). I also prefer the meat medium rare, not fully rare, so I cooked it to 138 degrees. Technically anywhere from 130-135 degrees is medium-rare, but I went a bit longer and it came our perfect for my liking! Long story short, start checking the temperature of the meat around 1 hour 15 minutes, and take it out when it is to your liking.|
|Should I sear the outside of the meat first?||Very often recipes for beef recommend searing the outside to add a depth of flavor to the meat. But with this tender cut, searing the outside often leads to overcooking the meat. Skipping this step and monitoring the temperature with a meat thermometer will ensure that you do not overcook the beef tenderloin.|
|How many people will 3.5 pounds serve?||This recipe should serve a family of 4 comfortably. If you serve it with a bunch of sides, it will even work for a group of 6! I served this recipe for 6 with quite a few sides for our family Christmas, and everyone was STUFFED! There were even leftovers!|
|Do I have to let the meat rest?||OMG 100% yes! Allowing the beef tenderloin to rest once it’s done cooking helps to keep the succulent juices in the meat for longer, making it more tender and flavorful! Cutting meat directly after it comes out of the oven means you will have a big bloody mess on your hands, as the juices escape the tender meat.|
|When to serve beef tenderloin:||This slow roasted beef tenderloin recipe is absolutely PERFECT for the holidays! It is super easy to make, so you don’t have to worry about slaving in the kitchen for hours while your guests congregate in the other room. I served this beef tenderloin for Christmas, and it was a hit! It would also make a great New Years eve dinner recipe, or valentines day main course!|
This Wüsthof CLASSIC Stainless Steel Two Piece Carving Set is what the pro’s use to carve meat!
Degrees Of Doneness For Beef:
- RARE: 125-130 degrees
- MEDIUM RARE: 130-135 degrees
- MEDIUM: 140-145 degrees
- MEDIUM WELL: 145-150 degrees
- WELL DONE: 160 degrees
More Recipes You Will Enjoy
Here are a few more comfort foods that you might enjoy!
- Ginger Sage Shrimp and Polenta Recipe With Brown Butter Pumpkin
- Simple Onion Soup
- Jamaican Jerk Baked Turkey Breast
- Pumpkin Clam Chowder
Did you make this recipe? Give it a star rating below and tag me in your creation on Instagram! @RecipeHippie
Oven Roasted Beef Tenderloin
- 3.5 pound beef tenderloin filet
- 3 tbsp olive oil organic is preferred
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 1/5 tsp ground black pepper
- 10-15 sprigs of rosemary, terragon or thyme (I used terragon, but any work)
- Kitchen string
- Pre-heat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Place the beef filet on a greesed baking sheet. Brush the filet with the 3 tbsp of olive oil. Sprinkle with all of the salt and pepper.
- Place the terragon, rosemary or thyme sprigs (your choice) all over the beef, and using kitchen string, tie them down to keep them in place.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes. At this time, check the temperature of the meat using a meat thermometer and continue to cook in 10 minute intervals until desired internal temperature is achieved. I cooked mine for 1.5 hours to reach an internal temperature of 138 degrees F.
- When desired temperature is achieved, remove from the oven and cover loosly with aluminum foil. Let the meat sit for 20 minutes (this is important to reduce the amount of 'bleeding' that occurs when cutting the meat). Slice the meat, and enjoy!
- Left overs can be stored in the refrigerator in an air tight container for 24 hours. I would not go past 24 hours due to the rareness of the meat.
Did you like this ‘Oven Roasted Beef Tenderloin‘ recipe? If so, you should go check out my Shiitake Mushroom Pasta Recipe!
Shiitake Mushroom Pasta With Lemon Butter Sauce, Honey Yogurt and Fried Capers
You guys, this easy pasta recipe is SOO good! Shiitake mushroom pasta with lemon butter sauce, honey yogurt and fried capers combines the homey comfort of buttered pasta with the elegance of wild shiitake mushrooms and creamy sweet yogurt sauce. It is a fantastic dish to make to impress your dinner party guests, or to …