One Pot Chicken and Lentil Stew With Orange Yogurt Marinade :
This one pot chicken and lentil stew recipe tastes light, healthy and tangy. Lentils are one legume that you should absolutely always have in your pantry. One cup of dried green lentils has 44 grams of protein and 68 grams of fiber! They are also shelf stable for up to 3 years when stored in an air tight container! These little green legumes are inexpensive and healthy, and they are a great way to switch things up when you feel like you have had too much rice and pasta! This one and done fuss free dinner also saves on dishes, which is a huge plus in my book. A full sink of dishes at my house is about as sure as a toilet paper shortage during a pandemic.
Serving this recipe for loved ones with a history of gout:
Other than the 44 grams of protein and 68 grams of fiber that comes from the lentils, there are many other health benefits to this dish! Luteolin, a compound in celery seed, reduces inflammation and nitric oxide levels, which may be beneficial in the treatment of gout. (1) Lentils are also low in purines, the compound that the body converts into uric acid which causes gout flare ups. Yogurt and lean meats, such as chicken, are also recommended in the diet of a person who is prone to gout. Adding the fresh squeezed orange juice provides and extra boost of vitamin C, where higher vitamin C intake has been independently associated with a lower risk of gout. (2) Just swap out the olive oil for a plant based oil such as avocado or coconut oil, and this is the perfect dish for your loved one with a history of gout.
(1)Li, S., Li, L., Yan, H., Jiang, X., Hu, W., Han, N., & Wang, D. (2019). Anti‑gouty arthritis and anti‑hyperuricemia properties of celery seed extracts in rodent models. Molecular medicine reports, 20(5), 4623–4633. https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2019.10708
(2) Choi, H. K., Gao, X., & Curhan, G. (2009). Vitamin C intake and the risk of gout in men: a prospective study. Archives of internal medicine, 169(5), 502–507. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2008.606
The Orange Yogurt Marinade:
I personally think that this is the best part of the recipe. Did you know that plain greek yogurt can make an absolutely delicious and moist marinade for chicken? All you have to do is add a little sweetness to it and its ready to go! In this recipe we use fresh squeezed orange juice and spices. Let the chicken sit in the marinade for a few hours, or overnight and it will be so tasty and moist, you will be wondering why you don’t make yogurt marinades more often! If you don’t have orange, try using fresh squeezed lemon juice!
This anti inflammatory cherry smoothie recipe combines super foods like cherries and flaxseed with tasty and nutritious strawberries and pineapple for an inflammation fighting and delicious smoothie! And with little to no prep, this pineapple cherry smoothie it makes great anti inflammatory breakfast or snack. How The Ingredients Help With Inflammation? Tart Cherries:If you google …
If you are in need of a dutch oven, this is the one I use! Le Creuset 2.75 qt. Shallow Cast Iron Dutch Oven, 2.75qt
Check Out This Video On How To Make One Pot Chicken And Lentil Stew!
One Pot Chicken And Lentil Stew
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 2 medium raw chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes (thawed chicken breasts work great as well!)
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 5.3 oz container of plain greek yogurt, reserving a few tbsp to dollop on top at the end.
- 1/2 small orange, juiced (squeezing the juice out is fine)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 red onion, chopped (or yellow/white onion, whatever you have)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- parsley or cilantro as garnish
- Boil about 3 cups of water in a pot. Salt the water.
- Toss in 1 cup of dried green lentils and boil for two minutes. Remove from heat. Keeping the lentils in the water, let them soak for 1 hour.
- Make your chicken marinade: Place chicken cubes in a bowl and add in celery seed, 1/2 tsp coriander, paprika and Italian seasoning. Empty almost the entire greek yogurt cup, reserving a few tbsp to dollop on top at the end. Squeeze in the juice of 1/2 of an orange and stir to combine all ingredients. Place a lid or plastic wrap over the top and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes, up to 2 hours.
- While the chicken is marinating, and once the lentils have sat in their water for 1 hour, drain the lentils and pick through, discarding any extra hard lentils or debris.
- Heat a medium to large cast iron dutch oven over medium high heat and add 1 tbsp of olive oil or coconut oil.
- Add in your marinated chicken and cook undisturbed for about 5 minutes. Toss in your chopped red onion, flip the chicken and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, undisturbed.
- Add in your previously soaked green lentils, coconut milk, chicken broth and salt/pepper. Stir to fully combine, place the lid on the pot and simmer for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once done, scoop lentils and chicken out into a bowl using a slotted spoon. Garnish with parsley and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and enjoy! You can use the left over liquid as the base for a sauce, or you can freeze it and use it later!
- You can freeze the left over broth for a future date! There is going to be a lot of flavor in that broth!
- If you do not have plain greek yogurt, try experimenting with a different flavor greek yogurt! Lemon or coconut would probably taste awesome!
- You can also serve this dish as a side for salad!
Did you like my ‘One Pot Chicken and Lentil Stew’ recipe? If so, go check out my ‘Healthy Cherry Mug Cake Gout Recipe‘!
This healthy and rustic cherry mug cake is super easy to make, and bakes in the microwave! There is no added sugar, and it is full of healthy gout foods that taste amazing and are okay to eat on a gout diet! Check out this delicious dessert gout recipe! Gout Friendly Recipes: Why is it …