I don’t know about you, but I am a HUGE fan of having healthy homemade food on deck when hunger strikes. This freezable coconut chickpea curry recipe is the perfect easy and healthy snack or dinner. The delicious curried chickpeas can be frozen in freezer bags to be enjoyed later, and it’s vegan and gluten-free!
Who Will Love This Recipe?
I developed this recipe when I was pregnant and worried about nurturing my baby well enough. I was sick and tired of eating crappy processed snacks, and wanted to have something I could quickly warm up that was both healthy and delicious.
This is one of the best freezer meals for new moms because it can be made in a large batch, and it is super healthy for you. It can also make a great ‘make ahead’ dinner side recipe for anyone who is short on time.
You will love this if you are…
And I mean, who doesn’t love creamy chickpeas loaded with rich and diverse flavors?
What if I told you that you can make a DELICIOUS chocolaty, soft and chewy dessert made almost entirely of chickpeas and peanut butter?! Ohh, and they’re flourless and gluten-free. You might tell me I’m nuts! But these vegan chickpea blondie bars are out of this world delicious, and you would never know they’re made out …
What Makes This A Healthy Freezable Coconut Curry Chickpeas Recipe?
Here, let me break down the health benefits of this delicious Indian side dish!
|Curry, Turmeric, Garam Masala||Garam masala is great for your gut and helps to release gastric juices, aiding in digestion. The curcumin found in Turmeric may increase BDNF levels in the brain, which may be effective in preventing brain diseases such as Alzheimers. Curry is a blend of Indian spices, and may aid in improved heart health by boosting blood flow and improving blood vessel function. All three spices are full of antioxidants which can help fight inflammation and free radicals in the body!|
|Chickpeas||This legume is packed with protein and fiber, which are significant in appetite control. Chickpeas also have a low glycemic index, making them a great snack or meal for people trying to maintain their blood sugar levels.|
|Ginger||Ginger contains gingerol, a powerful antioxidant with strong antiinflamatory effects. Ginger may also help to lower blood sugar and lower heart disease risk factors!|
|Coconut Cream||Coconut cream is an excellent source of potassium and actually has a relatively high fiber content! It is also rich in B vitamins, Vitamin C and Vitamin E.|
|Red Onion||Red onions contain an antioxidant called quercetin, which may help prevent cancer and bladder infections! Red onion may also help get rid of unwanted bacteria in the body, and may reduce your risk of cancer .|
How Do You Freeze It?
Can you freeze chickpeas? Can you freeze coconut cream? Actually YES! These ingredients freeze very well, and can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months!
- Allow the mixture to come to room temperature before spooning it into pint sized ziplock freezer bags or freezable glass containers. Try to get as much air out of the bags before sealing them. Make sure to label the date so you know how long they have been frozen!
- Lay the plastic bags flat in a freezer and freeze! Once fully frozen, you can stack the freezer bags to save space.
- These coconut curry garbanzo beans can be left frozen for up to 3 months! When ready to serve, allow the bag to sit in hot water for a few minutes before scooping out the curried chickpeas into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- You also have the option to re-heat on the stove top. Just scoop in into a warm pot with a little bit of coconut oil and sauté until hot, stirring occasionally.
What To Serve Curried Chickpeas With:
I actually enjoy eating them on their own. I find that the fiber and protein in the chickpeas fills me up pretty quickly! But you can absolutely serve coconut chickpea curry as a main with a side. Here are some examples of sides that would be delicious with this curry:
Did you make this recipe? Rate it below and tag me in your creation on Instagram! @RecipeHippie
Freezable Coconut Chickpea Curry
- 3 15.5 oz cans of chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 15.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 cup canned coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp coconut oil olive oil is fine too
- parsley or cilantro as garnish
- pint sized ziplock freezer bags, or freezer safe glass freezable containers.
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, then add the coconut oil. When hot, toss in the chopped red onion, yellow onion and carrot. Stir occasionally and sauté until begining to become translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Now pour in your strained and rinsed canned chicpeas. Stir it in, and make a well in the middle of the pot (so the bottom of the pot is exposed). Scoop the curry paste and garlic paste into the well, and cook for 60 seconds before mixing with the chickpeas and onions.
- Pour in the soy sauce, 2 cans of diced tomatoes and salt/pepper. Stir well, then add the turmeric, garam masala, curry powder, garlic powder, dried thyme and coriander. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now pour in the coconut cream, stiring well. Bring the mixture to a simmer, and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- When done, toss in some chopped parsley or cilantro and serve immediately, refridgerate or freeze.
- Allow the mixture to come to room temperature before spooning into ziplock freezer bags or freezer safe glass containers. Try to get as much air out of the bags before sealing. Make sure to label the date so you know how long they have been frozen!
- Lay the plastic bags flat in a freezer and freeze! Once fully frozen, you can stack the freezer bags.
- These coconut curry chickpeas can be left frozen for up to 3 months! When ready to serve, allow the bag to sit in hot water for a few minutes before scooping out the curried chickpeas into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. You also have the option to re-heat on the stove top.
Did you like this Freezable Coconut Curry Chickpeas recipe?! If so, go check out my African Chicken Stew recipe!
African chicken stew is an easy and delicious slow cooker chicken recipe that is loaded with rich, aromatic flavor! The tomato based sauce is full of healthy ingredients, and the fall off the bone chicken is going to blow you away. It’s sweet, with multiple depths of flavor, from the slight spiciness of the hot …