If you are looking for a SUPER tasty and easy Impossible meat recipe, look no further! The smoked paprika really enhances the flavor of the plant based meat, and hearty potatoes and rich tomato paste contribute to the depth of this simple yet delicious one pot dinner!
Is This Impossible Meat Recipe Healthy?
You betcha! Let’s break it down:
|Celery Seed||Celery Seed contains manganese, a mineral needed to activate enzymes that produce proteins necessary for the formation of bone tissue and cartilage. It is also a good source of iron, which is needed to produce red blood cells.|
|Yellow Squash||Yellow squash has little to no cholesterol, fat, or sodium. Yellow squash boast vitamins A and C, potassium, and fiber. It contains beta-carotene, a carotenoid that acts as an antioxidant which protects the body from free radicals|
|Onion||Onions are dense in vitamin C, B vitamins and potassium. Onions contain antioxidants that fight inflammation, decrease triglycerides and reduce cholesterol — all of which may lower the risk of heart disease.|
|Potatoes||Potatoes are rich in antioxidants like flavonoids, carotenoids and phenolic acids, which fight free radicals in the body and may decrease the risk of some cancers. They also provide a good amount of potassium and vitamin C!|
|Arugula||Among many benefits, this cruciferous vegetable is a source of glucosinolates, which are sulfur containing substances that have potential cancer fighting power.|
|Plant Based Meat Alternative||Plant based meats like Impossible Meat contain around 19 grams of protein per 4 oz serving, 0 grams of cholesterol and trans fats AND 25% of your daily value of iron! You also don’t have to worry about added hormones and antibiotics like you do with traditional meat products.|
Healthy Budget Dinner:
Eating plant based doesn’t have to break the bank! Take a look at the break down of how much this will run you as a vegetarian dinner for two or for four.
Dinner For Two
This is a fantastic budget meal for two!
- Plant Based Ground Beef – $6.99
- Garlic Powder – $.16
- Smoked Paprika – $.37
- Celery Seed – $.58
- Salt – $.01
- Yellow Squash – $.89
- Onion – $1.09
- Potatoes – $2.50
- Tomato Paste – $.89
- Arugula – $.87
- Canned Tomato Sauce – $.65
- Olive Oil – $.44
- TOTAL 15.44
Dinner For Four
To feed the whole family, multiply the recipe by 1.5.
- Plant Based Ground Beef – $10.48
- Garlic Powder – $.24
- Smoked Paprika – $.55
- Celery Seed – $.87
- Salt – $.02
- Yellow Squash – $1.33
- Onion – $1.63
- Potatoes – $3.75
- Tomato Paste – $1.33
- Arugula – $1.30
- Canned Tomato Sauce – $.97
- Olive Oil – $.66
- TOTAL: $23.13
Looking for another delicious vegan recipe? This Broccoli Rice Casserole recipe is super tasty!
Vegan Broccoli Rice Casserole
Vegan broccoli rice casserole is a healthy casserole recipe that is perfect for meatless Mondays! We make an easy cheesy vegan sauce that gets poured over broccoli, vegan rice and beans. It’s quick, healthy and super tasty! Vegan Rice Recipe When I was trying to make a vegan recipe with rice, I found that there …
Going Meatless, From A Sustainability Standpoint:
Now don’t get me wrong, I LOVE me some good meat! I am not a vegetarian or a vegan by any means. I do, however, understand the importance of reducing the amount of meat products that we consume in order to provide a more sustainable future.
A lot of people like the IDEA of using plant based meat alternatives, but don’t actually know what to make with them. That’s why I wrote this recipe as a vegan/vegetarian recipe. But if you want to use ground beef, by all means, use it!
One Pot Potatoes And Impossible Meat Recipe:
The actual recipe is really easy. And the fact that it only costs around $15 for a family of two just goes to show that healthy eating on a budget doesn’t have to be boring!
The recipe will yield a little over 2 servings (more like 3), so save the leftovers for lunch. That is why I only multiply the recipe by 1.5 if making for a family of 4.
My husband and I also have very large appetites and our portion sizes tend to be larger than normal. So just keep that in mind! But hey, I’m never mad at leftovers!
And just to be clear, this recipe is Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free AND Gluten-Free!
More Vegan Recipes
Here are a few more vegan recipes that you might enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? It would mean so much to me if you would rate it below the recipe card and tag me in your creation on Instagram! @RecipeHippie
One Pot Potatoes And Impossible Meat
- 12 oz meatless ground beef alternative (Like Impossible or Beyond) $6.99
- 1 tsp garlic powder $.16
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika (don't skip this ingredient) $.37
- 1/2 tsp celery seed $.58
- 1/4 tsp table salt $.01
- 1 yellow squash, stem removed and chopped $.89
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped $1.09
- 3 1/2 cups diced yellow potatoes $2.50
- 6 oz tomato paste $.89
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce $.65
- handful of arugula (about 1 cup) $.87
- 1 cup water, divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil $.44
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the meat alternative and break it up with a wooden spoon. Toss in the smoked paprika, and cook until the meat is browning and no longer pink (around 6 minutes). When done, transfer to a plate.
- Place the dutch oven you used for the meat back on the burner and add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add the chopped potatoes, onion and yellow squash to the pot and stir well. Pour in 1/2 a cup of water, and scrape any brown bits off of the bottom of the pot.
- Turn the heat to medium, place a lid on the pot and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through (test to make sure), add the beef back to the pot, along with the tomato paste, salt, celery seed, garlic powder, tomato sauce and 1/2 a cup of water. Stir well until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Cook for another 5-8 minutes on low with the lid off, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. When done, add the arugula. Enjoy!
Here is the dutch oven I used in this recipe! Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Signature Oval Dutch Oven, 8 qt., Meringue