Crispy kale salad is topped with tangy and sweet baked honey mustard chicken breast and chewy, smokey mushroom bacon! We use the same ingredients to make the bacon, chicken coating AND dressing, making this healthy dinner recipe hassle free.
Why Crispy Kale Salad?
I mean, who doesn’t love a good crunch every now and again?! Instead of getting your crunch craving from something processed, why not satisfy it with crispy, leafy greens! Roasting kale gives it a slightly charred flavor that will remind you of cooking over a fire.
It’s a great way to level up your salad game!
How To Make The Smokey Mushroom Bacon:
This is one step that you do NOT want to skip. This mushroom bacon is absolutely addicting! I recommend quadrupling the recipe, because you are going to end up eating half of it before it hits the plate!
Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the FULL RECIPE
- Brush any dirt off of the portobellos, and remove the tip of the stem. Slice them about 1/4 inch thick and place them in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the marinade. Add the honey, liquid smoke, garlic powder, rice vinegar, salt, honey mustard to the bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour the marinade over the mushrooms and toss until every mushroom is coated with the mixture. Do this step carefully, as the thin sliced mushrooms can break easily.
- Spread the mushrooms flat over a parchment lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 415 degrees for about 35-40 minutes. You will need to transfer the smaller bits to a plate before the bigger bits are done, or they will burn. You will also need to flip the mushrooms towards the end of cooking, about 30 minutes in.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to rest. Enjoy!
The Health Benefits Of Crispy Kale Salad With Honey Mustard Chicken And Mushroom Bacon:
Okay, so honey mustard and liquid smoke are probably not SUPER healthy for you. But it’s okay to not have ALL healthy ingredients, just as long as you have a few really good ones.
In my opinion, at least!
|Kale||Kale is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet! 2.4 ounces of kale contains 206% of your daily value of vitamin A, 684% vitamin K and 134% of your daily value of vitamin C! It is also a great source of antioxidants that fight free-radicals in the body, such as quercetin and kaempferol! Read more about this superfood HERE.|
|Chicken Breasts||Chicken breasts are an excellent source of lean protein. A 172 gram skinless chicken breast contains about 54 grams of protein. Chicken is also a good source of vitamin B, vitamin D, calcium, iron, zinc, and trace amounts of vitamin A and vitamin C.|
|Portobello Mushrooms||Portobello mushrooms are extremely high in B vitamins like Niacin and Riboflavin. Niacin is important for healthy nerves and skin, while riboflavin is important for the growth, development, and function of the cells in your body.|
|Rice Vinegar||Rice vinegar allows the body to be able to absorb more calcium, potassium, and vitamins from foods. It also contains a good amount of acetic acid, which boosts digestive health.|
Did you make this recipe? It would mean so much to me if you would rate it below the recipe card and tag me in your creation on Instagram so I can admire your work! @RecipeHippie
Crispy Kale Salad With Honey Mustard Chicken And Mushroom Bacon
Mushroom Bacon Ingredients
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tsp liquid smoke (don't skip this ingredient)
- 2 tsp honey mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp rice vinegar (white vinegar works as well)
- 1/4 tsp table salt
Chicken Salad Ingredients
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup honey mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- cracked black pepper
- 3 cups loose kale, stems removed and washed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Pre-heat the oven to 415 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the mushroom ingredients: liquid smoke, honey mustard, honey, garlic powder, rice vinegar and table salt. Gently toss with the sliced portobello mushrooms, and spread flat over a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving room for the chicken breasts.
- Place chicken breasts in a bowl, and toss with the chicken salad ingredients: 1/4 cup honey mustard, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt, fresh cracked black pepper. Mix until fully coated, and transfer to the parchment paper lined baking sheet with the mushrooms.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and cook for about 40 minutes. Around 25 minutes in, make sure to flip the mushrooms and remove any tiny pieces that may burn. When done, remove from the oven and transfer the chicken and mushrooms. Throw out that piece of parchment paper, and line with a new piece.
- While the chicken and mushrooms are cooking, make the dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake until combined (or whisk).
- Toss the washed kale with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Spread evenly over new parchment paper lined baking sheet, and bake for 8-10 minutes, until the edges begin to crisp up.
- Lay sliced chicken breasts over the crispy kale, and sprinkle with the mushroom bacon. Drizzle with the dressing and enjoy!