This Mediterranean cod recipe takes inspiration from Greece and is a simple and healthy fish dinner that the whole family will love! The cherry tomatoes and olives are full of flavor after simmering in a white wine and lemon sauce that is bursting with sweet and tangy notes. Top it with some feta cheese and you’ve got yourself a healthy and quick weeknight dinner!
So I have been making this exact recipe for YEARS. My mom used to make it for us pretty often, and over the years we have adapted it into what it is today.
Simmering the cherry tomatoes until they burst in a garlicky, lemon sauce is the real key here. The broth that is extracted is bold, with sweet and tangy notes in every bite. The aromatics of garlic and thyme help bring an earthy element to the dish, and the tender cod flakes perfectly onto your fork.
It truly is heavenly, and that is why I have been making it for so long!
Ingredients For Mediterranean Baked Cod
We don’t use any butter in this recipe, and almost all of the other ingredients are whole ingredients that come from the earth and are minimally processed!
What To Serve With Baked Cod
This Greek fish recipe goes great with a variety of different sides! It can also be served by itself.
Did you make this baked Mediterranean fish recipe? It would mean so much to me if you would rate it below the recipe card and tag me in your creation on Instagram so I can admire your work! @RecipeHippie
Mediterranean Cod Recipe with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, Olives and Feta
- 4 5-6 ounce cod fillets or other firm white fish
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to coat baking dish
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced or pressed through a garlic presser
- 2/3 cup dry white wine like pinot grigio
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 10 ounces organic cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 cups mixed green and black brine-cured olives, pitted
- 1/4 tsp table salt (for the tomato mixture)
- A pinch of salt to season the fish
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Add the olive oil to a large sauce pot over medium-high heat and allow to heat up for a couple minutes. Carefully toss in the cherry tomatoes and stir for 60 seconds.
- Pour in the white wine and lemon juice, and allow the tomatoes to simmer until they begin to soften and burst, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, olives, salt, and thyme leaves, stir well, and remove from the heat.
- Coat the bottom of a large baking dish with a thin layer of olive oil. Season the cod fillets on both sides with a pinch of salt and pepper and place them in the baking dish. Pour the tomato and olive mixture over the fish.
- Place it in the oven and allow it to cook until the fish reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F at it's thickest part. This takes anywhere from 12-25 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of the fish, so make sure you are checking. When the fish flakes easily, it is ready to check.
- To serve, transfer the fish to a plate or shallow serving bowl and spoon about 4-6 ounces of tomato mixture around the fish. Sprinkle with feta cheese and enjoy!