Guys…if you can only make one of my recipes…MAKE THIS ONE. Here, let me paint a picture: It’s almost summer. The flowers around your house are in full bloom, and the birds are untroubled in their nests. You decorated your patio table with a bright floral table cloth, and everyone at your party will be greeted at their seats with the pour of a crisp sauvignon blanc. Your guests don’t think the setting can get any more picturesque…that is, until you bring out your ‘Creamy Citrus Chicken’ dish! The brilliant flavors of orange, lemon and garlic whirl on their tongues, while the smooth, velvety texture of the sauce pacifies their taste buds.
If Yin and Yang had a baby, it would be this dish.
Hey everyone! I REALLY need to update this blog post. It is one of the first recipes that I ever posted on my blog, and it is in need of a serious update! I apologize for its appearance, and hope to update it soon!
In the meantime, if you want to check out some of my more recent recipes, here are a few that you might like!
Creamy Citrus Chicken
Ingredients for chicken marinade
- Juice of half of an orange
- Zest of half of an orange
- Juice of half of a lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
Ingredients for creamy citrus chicken
- 2 raw chicken breasts, halved horizontally (see notes at end of recipe for link on how to safely thaw your chicken)
- 1 pound mushrooms (whatever mushrooms you enjoy will work! I used cremini)
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 bouillon cube
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or chopped
- Juice and zest of half of an orange
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup flour For Sauce
- 1/2 cup flour For dredging chicken
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- After thawing chicken (if previously frozen), cut chicken horizontally in half.
- Place chicken breasts in between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Place on a hard surface and pound with a mallet until tenderized.
- Place chicken in a zip lock bag, and add orange juice/zest, lemon juice/zest, pressed garlic and chicken broth.
- Close the bag and mix all of the ingredients into the chicken with your hands.
- Place bag of chicken in a bowl and put that bowl in the fridge for 2 hours.
Make Creamy Citrus Chicken
- Place 1/2 a cup of flour on a plate and season with salt/pepper. Dredge chicken through flour and place on a separate plate.
- Heat butter and olive oil in sauce pan. Once warm, add chicken to the pan and cook about 10 minutes each side on medium, being careful not to burn. Cook until completely cooked through to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove chicken from the pan and add mushrooms. Add 1/4 of a cup of white wine to deglaze the pan and cook until sweating, about 10 minutes.
- While mushrooms are cooking, make sauce: Combine chicken broth, 1/2 bouillon cube, orange juice, orange zest, lemon juice, garlic and flour. Stir until bouillon cube and flour is mostly dissolved.
- Add sauce to mushrooms and stir frequently for 3-4 minutes until thickened.
- Add chicken back to sauce, and leave in until warm. Your meal is ready to serve!
- Here is the Oxo Garlic Press I used in this recipe…it has a built in cleaner and is dishwasher safe (I’ve washed mine around 200X and it still looks brand new!)
- Read how to properly thaw your chicken here ->
- The more orange zest, the better! I recommend garnishing the chicken with orange zest and chopped parsley. Here is the Microplane Zester I use! Made in the USA with a specific tooth set that takes the zesty rind directly off the citrus fruit, while leaving behind the bitter white pith.
- This dish goes great with a side of green beans or asparagus!
Did you like my ‘Creamy Citrus Chicken’ recipe?
If you did, check out my ‘Marigold Mango Smoothie‘ recipe!
The zester that I used for this recipe is AMAZING. The blade is designed with a specific tooth set that takes the zesty rind directly off the citrus fruit, while leaving behind the bitter white pith. You can use it to zest citrus or to grate parmesan, ginger, turmeric, garlic, cinnamon and much more. The best part? ITS MADE IN THE USA! Check out the ‘Microplane Premium Zester‘ here!
Imagine serving this dish in this ‘MacKenzie-Childs Enamel Serving Bowl’? I just can’t get over how great all of MacKenzie-Childs designs are. I have been purchasing her products for years, and her classic and sophisticated style has never changed. It has only gotten better. Her ‘flower market‘ collection is absolutely PERFECT for the spring and summer months, where as her ‘Royal Check” collection give off more of a fall/winter vibe.