Zucchini seems to be all the rage at the end of the summer. Our gardens have produced copious amounts of zucchini and none of us know what to do with it! Well this year, try making these delicious and easy dijon zucchini fritters! Shredded zucchini is mixed with garden fresh dill and tangy dijon mustard for a mouth watering flavor boost that everyone will love! With only a 5 minute preparation time, you will want to make these healthy zucchini fritters every week!
This recipe uses many simple ingredients that most of us have in our pantries and refrigerators.
- Parmesan Cheese – You can really use any cheese you want, but I personally enjoy the bite of parmesan
- Shredded Zucchini – Try using a kitchen aid shredder attachment to save time!
- Egg – If you do not eat eggs, an egg substitute would be fine. I recommend using more than the equivalent of 2 eggs, because the egg really helps all of the ingredients stick together during the cooking process.
- Parsley – Optional, but recommended.
- Dill – This garden fresh herb really helps take this from a typical breakfast fritter to a delicious and addictive one!
- Dijon Mustard – Dijon mustard contributes a tangy, slightly spicy flavor that pairs beautifully with the fresh herbs and earthy zucchini. If you don’t have dijon you can use yellow mustard, but note that the flavor is very different.
- Honey – Not only does honey add a slight sweetness to the recipe, but it also helps to hold the ingredients together. If you are vegan, or are all out of honey, you can use agave nectar or maple syrup instead.
Like I mentioned, this prep should really only take you about 5 minutes (maybe a little longer if you are shredding the zucchini by hand…luckily I have a kitchen aid attachment that shreds for me!) The most IMPORTANT step in the preparation process is to squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini PRIOR to mixing it with the other ingredients. They may seem dry enough when you first shred them, but they hold a LOT of water in them and that water will make your fritter batter extremely watery if you don’t drain it out beforehand. I recommend using a cheese cloth to do this; paper towels work as well, but you may go through a few before most of the water is completely out.
Once your shredded zucchini is ready, you place it in a bowl, add all of the other ingredients, mix, AND YOU’RE DONE! Such a quick and easy breakfast idea!
If you are looking to save yourself time and energy, i HIGHLY recommend this InnoMoon Slicer Shredder Attachment for KitchenAid Stand Mixer. It is the exact same one I have and I can not believe how easy it makes shredding and slicing!
What Makes This A Healthy Zucchini Fritters Recipe?
Zucchini is rich in many beneficial nutrients, including 40% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin A, which helps with vision and the body immune response. This green squash is also high in antioxidants like beta-carotene, which helps to fight off free radicals in the body that may contribute to some cancers. Dill is also high in vitamin A, antioxidants and vitamin C, another immunity booster!
What To Serve With Zucchini Fritters:
Dijon Zucchini fritters are the perfect compliment to any breakfast or brunch! They would be amazing to eat with a side of runny eggs: dip them in the egg yolk for a euphoric bite of heaven, or mix them with your home fries and ketchup (I’m talking to you ketchup lovers!). You can also serve these delicious breakfast fritters as an appetizer. Spruce them up with a nice homemade dill or lemon aioli. Or just enjoy them as a summer snack. There is no right or wrong way to eat this 15 minute meal, so enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
|Do I HAVE to drain the zucchini prior to making the fritters?
|Absolutely, 100% yes. If you skip this step you will be left with a super watery batter. Trust me, it becomes a big ol’ mess!
|If I don’t have a shredder attachment, can I use a regular hand held shredder?
|You can definitely shred the zucchini on a hand held shredder. Nothin’ wrong with a little elbow grease! I recommend using the medium to large size shreds for these zucchini pancakes.
We use frozen cauliflower florets to make this delicious 4 ingredient frozen buffalo cauliflower wings recipe! They’re so easy to make, and perfect in a pinch since most of us have a bag of cauliflower in our freezers, just ready for this exact moment to shine! You ever crave buffalo wings and quickly realize that …
Healthy Zucchini Fritters
- Cheese Cloth or Paper Towels
- 4 cups shredded zucchini (for me this was 1 & 1/4 very large zucchinis) (you can leave the skin on before shredding, just wash it & remove the stem)
- 1/2 cup powdered Parmesan (the real stuff works too! as do other cheeses, see body of text)
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill (or dried, okay to omit)
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp honey (or agave nectar)
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil or butter
- Once the zucchini is shredded, drain the excess liquid in the zucchini by squeezing it inside of a cheese cloth or folded up paper towels. This step is very important, because if you don't, you will have a lot of extra liquid in the mixture.
- Once the zucchini is drained well, add it to a bowl. Now toss in the dijon, parm, herbs, honey and eggs (discard shells). Mix to fully combine.
- Heat a few tbsp of oil or butter in a large non-stick skillet. Once hot, add a fritter; I do this by taking a small hand full of the mixture, padding it down in my hands to form a flattened circle, and placing it directly on the skillet.
- Do this 4 times, trying to not overcrowd the skillet. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook for the same amount of time on the other side. The cooked side should be brown. Transfer to a plate and repeat steps until all of the batter is done.
- Serve immediately! Option to place a dollop of sour cream, greek yogurt or even ranch dressing on top and to garnish with greens! Enjoy.
Did you like my Healthy Zucchini Fritter recipe? If so, go check out my Jamaican Jerk Shrimp recipe!
With Jamaican Beans And Rice One of my favorite meals to get when I go out to eat is Jamaican jerk shrimp. The unique mixture of spices brings me right to the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean. But you don’t need a plane ticket to have jerk shrimp at home! I had every single …