I need you to get that ‘I can’t eat hot foods in the summer‘ idea out of your head! Despite the fact that this summer squash soup is served hot, it is the perfect soup to serve in the summer and early fall. This creamy yellow squash soup recipe has a delicate and earthy flavor that is complimented by citrusy brightness and velvety wholesomeness. So get out there to your local farm stand and buy a bunch of yellow/summer squash so you can try this delicious and creamy yellow squash soup!
Eating In Season:
When foods are harvested at their peak ripeness, their nutrients are at their highest, and their flavor is at its strongest. Purchasing in season vegetables also gives you the opportunity to support local farms and reinvest in your community. When you purchase out of season produce, or even in season produce that has been farmed many states away, it is important to be aware of how far the food has to travel to reach your plate. Think about how many people have touched that food…it is a bit disturbing! Purchasing local produce helps to reduce your carbon footprint and is better for our world.
And finally, eating in harmony with the seasons of the earth helps to bring us back to our roots and connect with mother nature.
What Does Creamy Yellow Squash Soup Taste Like?
When yellow squash is cooked, it gives off an almost nutty flavor. Don’t worry about peeling the skins, because they get very soft in the sauteing process and will be blended up once done. We add curry powder and cumin for a hint of spice that compliments the sweet nuttiness of the squash. Heavy cream is added for extra creaminess and to balance out the acid from the white wine and lemon juice. If you are vegan or lactose intolerant, you can absolutely use coconut cream in this immersion blender soup.
If you are in need of an immersion blender, this is the brand I use! Cuisinart Smart Stick 200 Watt 2-Speed Hand Blender
If you would rather use a blender, this is the one I have, and it is AMAZING. Best blender I have ever used, hands down. Ninja Professional 72 Oz Countertop Blender
Frequently Asked Questions:
|What makes this a simple squash soup recipe?||Well, once the squash is sautéed until soft, all of the ingredients are pretty much tossed in the pot and left to simmer for 10 minutes before being blended. It’s a one pot soup, and that’s something any busy person can appreciate!|
|Is there a difference between yellow squash and summer squash?||No, they are one in the same! Summer squash encompasses a variety of squashes that are mostly harvested in the summer. But for me, living in the north east, I find that 9/10 times summer squash at the grocery store is yellow squash.|
|Can I use a blender instead of an immersion blender?||You definitely can! Just make sure to allow some steam to escape if blending while it is hot. And be careful!|
|How can I make this vegan?||It’s actually super easy to make this a vegan summer squash soup recipe! Just substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth, and use coconut cream/milk instead of heavy cream. Simple as that!|
Brighten up a cold day with this delicious and comforting vegan lemon rice soup! The healthy ingredients used not only contribute to the soups delicious flavor, but they also have many nutritional benefits, making this a great soup if you are feeling under the weather. Why Vegan? Why not?! I know, I know…chicken noodle soup …
Creamy Yellow Squash Soup
- Immersion blender or blender
- 4 large yellow squash, stems removed and cut into 1/4 inch thick medallions (also called summer squash)
- 1 large sweet or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into thin medallions
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 7 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (1/8 tsp table salt)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or coconut cream
- Add 4 tbsp of butter to a large dutch oven or stock pot. Let it melt over medium-high heat.
- Now add the onion and carrots. Cook for about 1 minute. Now toss in the yellow squash and stir. Cook with the lid on for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic powder, curry powder, cumin, thyme sprigs and lemon juice (be careful to not add too much lemon juice). Stir and cook for 60 seconds.
- Add 2 tbsp of white wine to deglaze the pan and stir, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Let the wine cook for 60 seconds over high heat with the lid off to cook off the alcohol flavor.
- Now add the 3 cups of chicken broth and salt. Let the soup simmer on low for about 10 minutes to combine all of the flavors. Once done, remove from heat and let it sit for 15 minutes to cool down.
- Remove the thyme sprigs. The thyme leaves should have fallen off into the soup.
- Using your immersion blender or blender, blend the ingredients of the soup until you have a smooth consistency, and there are no chunks of squash left.
- Pour in the heavy cream and 1 more tbsp of butter, and stir to fully combine.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate and enjoy it the next day! You can also freeze this soup for a nice summer squash soup in the winter months. Option to garnish with nuts, thyme, parsley, green onion or peppers! Enjoy!
Did you like my ‘Creamy Yellow Squash Soup‘ recipe?! If so, go check out my ‘Ultimate Vegan Chili‘ recipe!
As the humidity rises from the air and brisk, cool winds begin to pick up, there is rarely a dish more comforting than chili. Maybe it’s the warming somatosensation of chili’s main ingredient, capsaicin, that we enjoy the most. Or maybe it’s the fact that chili is frequently served at gatherings and parties, reminding us …