If you are looking for a simple mushroom recipe that is light and bright, these bacon sautéed baby bella mushrooms are the way to go! The smokey bacon flavor adds to the savory earthiness of the mushrooms, while lemon and arugula contribute a refreshing brightness.
What Makes These Lemon Mushrooms So Simple?
Aside from the bacon, every ingredient used is fresh and simple. We toss the baby bella mushrooms in whole, so you don’t need to worry about slicing them. And once in the skillet, you really only need to stir them every so often, as we are trying to brown them.
Plus, we only use 6 ingredients, most of which you will already have in your home!
How To Make This Bacon And Mushrooms Dish:
Like I mentioned, it is super simple you guys. Here is a general break down, but make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full recipe!
Cook the bacon and transfer it to a plate when done.
Add the whole mushrooms to the pan and cook until brown, about 5 minutes each side for a total of 15 minutes.
Toss in the arugula, garlic, lemon juice and thyme. Mix well and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
Crumble bacon bits over the top!
No Wine, No Cream & No Butter:
When I was looking for a simple whole sautéed baby bella mushrooms recipe, I found it really difficult to find one that wasn’t creamy, and didn’t use butter or white wine. I rarely have cream on hand, unless I buy it for a specific recipe, and occasionally I will have white wine, but usually only in the summertime.
This recipe cooks the mushrooms in the bacon grease which not only tastes AMAZING, but it really contributes more complex and rich flavor to the dish. Bacon grease also has a very high smoking point (50 degrees above butter), so when you are browning the mushrooms, you don’t need to worry about the grease burning.
More Recipes You Will Love
Bacon Sautéed Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 16 oz whole baby bella mushrooms, cleaned
- 4 slices raw bacon
- 1 cup arugula
- 1.5 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- salt/pepper as needed
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon slices and cook until crispy. Transfer to a plate.
- Toss in the whole mushrooms. Cook for about 15 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring every 5 minutes to sear on all sides. You want them starting to brown before stirring.
- Add the arugula, garlic, thyme and lemon juice and stir well. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Salt and pepper as needed. Garnish with crumbled bacon bits and more thyme. Enjoy!