Evenly crispy on the outside, with Indian spiced sweet potato and meat on the inside, these air fryer samosas with sweet potato and pork are irresistible! The filling comes together quickly, and we use egg roll wrappers to make our lives a little easier. Air fried samosas are great as an appetizer for parties and get togethers!
Air Fryer VS. Stove Top VS. Oven:
Okay, so this is a big debate in the world of egg rolls. What is the best method of cooking?! I personally tried all three. I should preface this by saying I am not a professionally trained chef, so for some of you, these other methods might work great! But for me, a self taught home cook, there was one method that really took the cake.
Air Fryer Samosas:
Stove Top Samosas:
Oven Baked Egg Rolls:
This easy veggie tikka masala recipe is a quick and easy Indian dish that yields a creamy and developed sauce, perfect for serving with naan, rice or pasta. It’s bold, with hints of ginger and curry, making it a comforting meal for any occasion. And with everything being done in less than 30 minutes, it …
This recipe is my own take on a traditional Indian samosas recipe. I used some different spices than would traditionally be used, and I also sub out the potato for sweet potato and I added pork.
Here are some substitutions that you can make to make this recipe your own!
As you know, my motto is to use what you’ve got! Play around with these air fryer samosas and let me know what substitutions you made!
|Pork||This is a big one, because not everyone eats pork. You can try any ground meat, such as ground beef, ground turkey or ground chicken. You can also use a ground meat alternative, such as beyond meat or impossible burger and I know it will still be just as delicious!|
|Spices||I use a lot of spices in this recipe, some of which you might not have. Here are the ones that I would NOT substitute: coriander, mustard seed, cumin, garam masala, garlic powder. If you substitute these out, it will not taste like a samosa. But if you want, you can add turmeric, curry, paprika or any other spices you have!|
|Egg Roll Wrappers||I chose to use pre-made egg roll wrappers because they are easy and keep their shape well. And not everyone has time to make samosa dough! You can substitute these for wonton wrappers, or make your own samosa dough. Just note that air fryer cooking times will differ, depending on the type of wrapper you use.|
|Sweet Potato||I chose sweet potato as a slightly healthier option in comparison to potato. They are a great source of fiber, vitamin A and vitamin C! But you can always use a traditional peeled potato. Purple potatoes would be a really interesting take!|
Here is the dutch oven I used in this recipe! Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Signature Oval Dutch Oven, 8 qt., Meringue
How To Wrap An Egg Roll:
Don’t worry, you’re not the only one that has no clue how to wrap an egg roll! (I had to google it). After each section is folded, make sure to run wet fingers along the seams to seal it!
How To Cook Frozen Samosas in Air Fryer
These samosas can be frozen and reheated in the air fryer!
I don’t know about you, but I am a HUGE fan of having healthy homemade food on deck when hunger strikes. This freezable coconut chickpea curry recipe is the perfect easy and healthy snack or dinner. The delicious curried chickpeas can be frozen in freezer bags to be enjoyed later, and it’s vegan and gluten-free! …
Is This Recipe Mediterranean Diet Friendly?
Since this blog is more of a ‘free spirited approach‘ to Mediterranean diet recipes, I think that just about any recipe can be considered MedDiet friendly if you tweak it!
Processed foods are not encouraged on the Mediterranean diet, but the MedDiet is not a strict diet. You are allowed to occasionally have processed foods and sweets if you choose. So as long as you generally limit the processed foods that you consume, the egg roll wrappers should be okay.
And since the filling is made mostly of vegetables and spices, which are both highly recommended on a Mediterranean diet, AND they are air fried so they are cooked with a healthier cooking method, I would say that these COULD be okay on a Mediterranean diet.
But I am NOT a doctor or dietitian, so please consult with yours before making any changes to your diet and with any questions you have! This is solely my opinion on this recipe, and you may have a different one entirely. And that’s okay!
What To Serve With Samosas:
These sweet potato samosas make a great appetizer for parties and get togethers! They can also be a great Ramadan dish, just note that some people may not eat pork, so adjust the recipe accordingly.
They go great with a dipping sauce! For an easy dipping sauce, try plain old guacamole, with a few Indian spices added!
You can also do a sweet and sour dipping sauce, like this recipe from The Daring Gourmet – Best Sweet And Sour Sauce
Did you make this recipe? It would mean so much to me if you would rate it below the recipe card and tag me in your creation on Instagram so I can admire your work! @RecipeHippie
Air Fryer Samosas With Sweet Potato And Pork
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, diced finely
- 16 oz ground sausage (can substitute ground beef, ground turkey/chicken or ground meat alternative)
- 10 oz cooked green peas (I steamed a bag of frozen peas, but can also use canned)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup water, plus more for sealing egg roll edges
- 12 pre-made egg roll wrappers
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, or whatever ground meat you are using, to the pan and break up with a wooden spoon. Toss in the diced onion and cook until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Add the cubed sweet potato to the pot and stir to combine. Pour in 1/4 cup water and place the lid on the dutch oven. Allow the ingredients to cook for 15-20 minutes, until the sweet potato is easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove the lid and make a well in the middle of the dutch oven. Add the fresh minced ginger, salt and all of the spices to this well and cook for 30 seconds, mixing the aromatics the entire time with the wooden spoon. Once the 30 seconds is over, mix the spices completely into the sweet potato mixture.
- Remove the dutch oven from the heat. Using a hand held masher, mash the sweet potatoes into the sausage and spices. Now pour in the cooked peas, and mix to combine.
- Place the egg roll wrappers on a clean surface, along with a small bowl of water. Place the first wrapper you are using in a diamond shape. Scoop 2-3 tbsp of the sweet potato mixture into the middle of the egg roll, just south of the midline.
- Fold the bottom corner up and tuck it under the food, making sure it is tight. Now fold the two side corners over. Dip your fingers in the water and run them along the seams of the corners to seal the egg roll.
- Now tightly roll the egg roll up towards the top corner. Once it is completely rolled, dip your fingers in the water again and run them along the seams to seal the egg roll. Do this for each egg roll. SEE BLOG POST IMAGES
To Air Fry:
- Place as many egg rolls as will fit seam side down into the air fryer. Make sure there is a small space between each egg roll (the amount you can fit will vary depending on air fryer size). Place the crisper lid over the tray (if you have one), then the regular lid. Set the air fryer to 'air fry' at 400 degrees F for 6 minutes. Once the 6 minutes is up, flip them and repeat for another 6 minutes.
- Repeat in batches until all of the egg rolls are cooked! Enjoy!
Did you like this pork samosas recipe?! If so, go check out some of my other recent recipes!