These eggless and dairy free meatballs are a healthier, and dare I say, more delicious meatball option! Ground beef is mixed with cooked sweet potato, spices and red onion, and is baked in the oven for a crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, meatball! Give these tasty sweet potato and ground beef oven meatballs a chance!
Are Ground Beef and oven baked sweet potatoes healthy?
YES! The sweet potatoes alone are packed with:
- vitamin C
- beta carotene
Among many health benefits, all three of these vitamins and minerals are needed for healthy skin and improved immune function! And while red meat in general is controversial in regards to its health benefits, we DO know that a 3.5 ounce portion of ground beef contains 25% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin B3. To improve the healthiness of red meat, be sure to purchase the 95% lean version, if you can!
Another benefit of this healthy ground beef recipe is that you don’t have to worry about all of the additives and preservatives that you get in the store bought kind! I swear, some of those store bought ‘balls of meat’ don’t even taste like meat! The texture is all wrong!
How To Make Frozen Meatballs:
This healthy meatball recipe can be meal prepped and frozen for later use! And it is so easy! Just make the meatballs, cook them, and which ever ones you would like to save for later, place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in the freezer. Freeze them for about 1 hour before transferring them to a ziplock bag or freezer safe Tupperware! They are okay to keep frozen for about a month before you will want to use them up!
How To Re-Heat Frozen Meatballs:
There are a couple options when it comes to reheating frozen meatballs. You can toss them in a crock pot with some gravy or sauce and cook them for a few hours until they are fully warmed through. You can also throw them in a skillet filled with sauce until fully heated through. The frozen cooked meatballs can also be microwaved! Since they are already cooked to 160 degrees, you don’t have to worry about ‘cooking’ them through.
How to serve Sweet potato and ground beef oven meatballs:
First of all, how great are meatballs? I think just about every single country has their own version of a meat ball. They are so quick and easy and comforting! When I made this recipe, I served the baked spaghetti and meatballs with a sweet potato and tomato sauce I made. But these little balls of joy would also be GREAT with a glaze or reduction! The ground beef sweet potato mixture could also be a great meat loaf idea! You will just need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Sweet Potato And Ground Beef Oven Meatballs
- 16 oz ground beef
- 5 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes or medallions (doesn't matter how you cut them, just cut them uniformly so they cook at the same rate)
- 1/2 of a large red onion, minced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs (store bought is fine)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- salt/pepper to taste (if using store bought bread crumbs, you likely don't need to add any salt)
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place a pot filled with water on the stove top. Bring to a boil and add the chopped sweet potatoes. Cook until a fork easily goes through, about 20 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are boiling, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the minced red onion and cook until fully cooked, about 4 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, drain them and let them sit for a few minutes to cool. Once cooled enough to handle, add it to a large mixing bowl. Toss in the bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cooked red onion, ground beef and Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix everything together using a mixer or your hands. Make sure it is combined well.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spay with cooking spray. Form uniform meat balls using your hands or a scooper, and place on the baking sheet. Make sure they do not touch.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and cook for about 30 minutes, until the internal temperature of the meat balls is at least 160 degrees.
- IF FREEZING: Place baking sheet with FULLY COOKED meatballs in the freezer and freeze for 1 hour. Remove and toss the half frozen meatballs in a freezer bag or Tupperware container to freeze. Use within 1 month.
Did you like this Sweet Potato And Ground Beef Oven Meatballs Recipe? If so, you should go check out my ‘How To Meal Prep Frozen Veggie Burgers‘ recipe!
If you are anything like me, meal prepping is a bit of a daunting task that I will gladly put off to binge watch pretty much anything (I’m lookin at you, trashy reality shows!). It just seems like a LOT of work. With that in mind, I set out to make the best black bean …