This cheesy zucchini recipe is SO easy and delicious, you are definitely going to want to add this to your favorite comfort foods list! It takes 25 minutes to make, and is a great simple dinner idea! And zucchini mac and cheese is a healthier alternative to satisfy that gooey orange mac and cheese craving that we all get from time to time!
Why eat zucchini Mac And Cheese?
Zucchini mac and cheese is a great option because you are responsible for every ingredient that is put into it.
When we buy packaged mac and cheese with powdered cheese or gooey Velveta cheese, we really don’t know what preservatives have been added to it. These processed mac and cheeses are definitely not healthy.
Although this recipe does use cheese and pesto, it is definitely a healthier option than store bought mac and cheese. And it is a great way to get your kids to eat zucchini!
Need a dutch oven? Here is a similar one to the one I use, but in a way cuter color! Le Creuset 3.5 quart dutch oven in cactus
How to make it:
You start by filling a large sauce pan or dutch oven with broth and zucchini. Let it simmer until the zucchini is soft. Once soft, pour it into a blender and add garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, pesto and milk.
Blend it until it is well combined. Toss it with your favorite pasta and add the cheese, and you’re all set to enjoy this healthy mac and cheese recipe! All in all it takes about 25 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions:
|Is this a vegan mac and cheese recipe?
|It can be! Just use a dairy milk alternative and vegan cheese!
|If I’m not vegan, should I add meat to it?
|I personally LOVE this recipe with sausage! It really adds to the depth of flavor and pairs beautifully with this dish.
|What kind of cheese should I use?
|I HIGHLY recommend using jalapeno cheddar cheese for this recipe. It needs a bite, and regular cheddar is a bit mild.
More Recipes You Will Love
Did you make this recipe? Rate it below and tag me in your creation on Instagram! @RecipeHippie
Zucchini Mac And Cheese
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 zucchinis, stems removed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 ounces jalapeno cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup milk or vegan milk (any kind of milk is fine)
- 4-5 tbsp basil pesto
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon
- your favorite pasta!
- Place a large sauce pan or dutch oven over a burner and pour in chicken or vegetable broth. Cut the zucchini into about 1/4 inch medallions, removing the stems, and place them in the pan/pot.
- Bring broth to a boil and simmer, stirring and flipping the medallions frequently, until they are very soft. This takes about 20 minutes. If you have a lid, place it over to quicken the process.
- Once this is done, let it cool for a few minutes, then add the zucchinis and broth to the blender. Toss in lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, pesto and milk. Blend until a smooth sauce is formed.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta, then toss in the grated jalapeno cheese. Stir until completely melted, and serve! Option to garnish with parsley, basil and/or crushed peppercorns.
- This dish does very well as a great ‘left overs’ lunch!
- I recommend serving this with sausage if you eat meat, for a boost of protein!