Ever wonder what to do with leftover spaghetti? How about molding it into the shape of a pie and baking it with ricotta cheese, pasta sauce and ground beef? Well that is exactly what we do with this leftover spaghetti pie recipe! It is super filling, and makes a wonderful weeknight family dinner because of how versatile the ingredients are! Ohh, and did I mention that kids LOVE it?!
What Is Spaghetti Pie?
No, spaghetti pie is not a dessert! It is an easy weeknight dinner that absolutely anyone can make! The leftover spaghetti forms the ‘pie crust‘, and when it bakes in the oven, it slightly hardens to maintain the pie shape. Ricotta cheese is spread over the top of the spaghetti for a creamy layer, while cooked ground beef and pasta sauce complete the pie. Sprinkle mozzarella over the top for added cheesiness and you’ve got yourself a filling and delicious family dinner!
Looking for a beautiful pie dish? This MacKenzie-Childs Stainless Steel Round Pie Plate would sure do the trick! I absolutely love MacKenzie-Childs. Her modern yet classic dinnerware is essential for any dinner party.
How Do You Make Spaghetti Pie?
Once you gather the ingredients, it is pretty easy and fairly straight forward.
- Take out your leftover spaghetti, or make the spaghetti from scratch and set aside.
- Heat a sauce pan over medium high heat. While it is heating up, chop the onion. Add raw ground beef and onion to the pan, stirring with a wooden spoon until the beef is completely broken up. Cook until the beef is no longer pink, about 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add pressed garlic to the pan with the meat and onions, and cook 30 seconds. Carefully pour in the canned tomatoes and tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes until it is slightly thickened.
- While sauce is thickening, add eggs and Parmesan to the pasta. Stir to coat the pasta completely.
- Spray your pie dish with Pam or grease with butter. Add the spaghetti to the pie dish, pressing it gently with your fingers to form a ‘pie crust’. The crust should go up the sides of the dish, with a flatter area in the middle.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, herbs and cornstarch. Spread this mixture over the spaghetti.
- Now top the spaghetti and ricotta with the meat sauce. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Add your mozzarella or parmesan cheese to the top and put it back in the oven for 5 minutes to melt. Remove the pie from the oven and let it sit for at least 5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
Shiitake Mushroom Pasta With Lemon Butter Sauce, Honey Yogurt and Fried Capers
You guys, this easy pasta recipe is SOO good! Shiitake mushroom pasta with lemon butter sauce, honey yogurt and fried capers combines the homey comfort of buttered pasta with the elegance of wild shiitake mushrooms and creamy sweet yogurt sauce. It is a fantastic dish to make to impress your dinner party guests, or to …
When To Serve This Leftover Spaghetti Pie Recipe?
Spaghetti pie makes a wonderful weeknight family dinner. Kids love to see traditional spaghetti and meat sauce transformed into a pie! And since it is so filling, I always have leftovers, making it a wonderful dinner to make if you don’t want to make lunch tomorrow!
- Pie dish
- 8 ounces spaghetti (this may seem like it is not enough, but trust me, it is!)
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic presser
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 of a 14 ounce can of chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound ground beef (or omit for a meatless option)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup powdered Parmesan (shredded works too!)
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Cooking spray or butter
Instructions To Make Spaghetti Pie:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- If you do not have leftover spaghetti on hand, cook the spaghetti according to package direction, drain and set aside.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, heat a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add raw ground beef and chopped onion to the pan, stirring with a wooden spoon until the beef is completely broken up.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently, until the meat and onions are completely cooked.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan with the meat and onions, and cook for 30 seconds. Carefully pour in the canned tomatoes and tomato sauce, and simmer for 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- While sauce is thickening, add the eggs and parmesan to the resting spaghetti. Stir to coat the pasta completely.
- Spray the pie dish with cooking spray or grease with butter. Add the spaghetti to the pie dish, pressing it gently with your fingers to form a 'pie crust'. The crust should go up the sides of the dish and be flatter in the middle area.
- In a seperate mixing bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, oregano, thyme and cornstarch. Spread this mixture over the spaghetti.
- Now top the spaghetti and ricotta with the meat sauce. Bake in the pre heated oven for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top of the pie with motzarella cheese and put it back in the oven for 5 minutes to melt. Take out and let the pie sit for at least 5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
- To remove the pie from the pie pan: This was the most difficult part of the recipe, I am not going to lie. What I did, was I placed a plate over the top of the pie and CAREFULLY flipped the pie over so it all came out on the plate. Then I took another plate and placed it on the bottom of the pie and carefully flipped it back over so it was right side up. If this sounds too complicated for you, just serve it in the pie dish!
- Looking to make this dish more aesthetically pleasing? Cooking it in this MacKenzie-Childs Stainless Steel Round Pie Plate would sure do the trick!
Did you enjoy my ‘Quick Spaghetti Pie’ recipe?
If so, go check out my ‘Easy Chicken Piccata‘ recipe! If you are craving home made Chinese food, this is the recipe for you! The secret ingredient is homemade garlic chili infused oil!
Easy Chicken Piccata Recipe
This easy chicken piccata recipe is lemony, creamy and full of flavor! Lightly dredged chicken is seared until golden brown, and all of the chicken bits in the pan are scraped up to flavor the savory lemon butter sauce. Crispy briny fried capers are tossed over the top for a salty crunch with every bite. …
so yummy thanks for sharing
I’m so glad that you like it!