This chocolate cherry easy snickerdoodle recipe is self proclaimed as the best snickerdoodle recipe out there! I mean, who doesn’t love the sweet, woody flavor of cherries mixed with gooey milk chocolate and warm cinnamon. And no need to run to the store, because this is a snickerdoodle without cream of tartar recipe!
It makes a wonderful ‘end of summer’ recipe, but don’t let that deter you from enjoying this snickerdoodle recipe year round!
What Do These Chocolate Cherry Cookies Taste Like?
If you like sweet, then you are in luck! Snickerdoodles are very similar to a traditional sugar cookie, but with the extra spice of cinnamon to liven things up. Snickerdoodles can be thick and soft, or flat and crispier, depending on preference. This specific recipe yields flatter cookies that are a mix between soft and crisp, depending on how you store them (more on that later).
The chocolate chips and chopped fresh cherries contribute to the cookies sweetness, in the best way possible.
This cookie bar recipe, staring blueberries and cream cheese, is both easy AND scrumptious! Cream cheese blueberry cookie bars can be prepped in just 15 minutes, no scooping or batch baking required! They are sweet, chocolaty and the perfect easy bar cookies for a crowd or bake sale! What Do These Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheese …
How To Store Snickerdoodles:
How you store these cookies will make all the difference in their texture. We do not use cream of tartar in this recipe. Cream of tartar is traditionally used to stabilize eggs in baking and to prevent sugar from crystalizing. So since we leave this out, it is important that you store the cookies properly to allow them to maintain their integrity for as long as possible.
X If you put the cookies in a tupperware on the counter overnight, they will become extremely soft.
O I recommend either leaving them out, exposed to the air, or placing them on a plate in the refrigerator. This allows the cookies to maintain their shape and gives them the perfect combination of crispy/cracked top with soft insides.
When To Serve This Chocolate Cherry Easy Snickerdoodle Recipe:
I personally think that these make the BEST end of summer cookies. Right as summer is coming to and end, and you have started lighting your apple cinnamon candles. Cherries are in season from June until about mid august, so this is the best time to make these cookies.
Chocolate Cherry Easy Snickerdoodle Recipe
- parchment paper
- 1 cup fresh chopped cherries, stems and pits removed
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (regular size is fine too)
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Mix the vegetable oil with the sugar, eggs and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon to the bowl with the sugar mixture, and mix well, until a thick dough forms.
- Chop up the fresh cherries, making sure to remove the pits. Add the cherries and chocolate chips to the bowl, and mix well.
- Combine 1/4 cup of sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon in a shallow bowl or plate.
- Layer a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll a walnut sized piece of dough in your hands until a ball is formed. Roll the ball in the cinnamon/sugar mixture, and place on the baking sheet. Continue until the baking sheet is full, leaving about 2 inches of space between each cookie.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until slightly browning on edges. If you overcook, they will be very hard once they come to room temprature, and if you undercook, they will be very soft, so keep an eye on them.
- It is my experience that if you put them in a tupperware on the counter, the cookies will get very soft, and stick together. I recommend either leaving them out, exposed to the air, or placing them on a plate in the refrigerator. This allows the cookies to maintain their shape and gives them the perfect combination of crispy/cracked top with soft insides.
If you liked this easy cookie recipe, you will love my Chocolate Almond Tart recipe!
This elegant dessert pairs decadent chocolate with creamy almonds for a delicious and beautiful tart recipe! Don’t let the fancy pie crust fool you, this tart isn’t just for looking! It’s full of gooey, chocolatey goodness, with a crispy lattice topper. My chocolate almond tart is a must try Valentine’s Day dessert for 2021! What …