Fluffy muffins are spiced to autumnal perfection, with notes of cinnamon and cloves that will fill your home with baked aromatic goodness. This cinnamon apple muffins recipe combines the sweetness of seasonal apples with the spice of fresh grated ginger for perfect and easy apple muffins.
What Do They Taste Like?
These are buttery muffins with an autumnal flavor kick! We use extra apples for that sweet and delicious kick that you’re looking for in a fall baking recipe.
They are extra moist because of the sour cream (or yogurt), and are light and cakey, similar to a cupcake texture.
It’s definitely a beginner baking recipe because the ingredients are simple, and the results yield perfect muffins every time.
How To Make Muffins Moist And Fluffy:
I have made quite a few muffin recipes in my life, many of which that came out dry and crumbly. This recipe is completely different. This is the best apple cinnamon muffins recipe.
That’s right! We use sour cream in this recipe! It might sound crazy, but I promise that you don’t taste it AT ALL. But when mixed with the wet ingredients, the sour cream acts as a dryness barrier that locks in moisture.
Whats left? Soft and fluffy apple muffins that will keep you coming back for more and more!
What Apples To Use For Cinnamon Apple Muffins
You can really use whichever baking apple that you prefer. A few examples are:
Sweet, hearty and savory, this brown butter pumpkin polenta with ginger sage shrimp is an autumn lovers best friend. Freshly husked corn is sauteed in butter before the polenta cooks enough to melt the sharp cheddar and parmesan cheese. Garlicky shrimp is sauteed in browned butter, ginger and sage until perfectly cooked. This shrimp and …
How To Make This Apple Cinnamon Muffins Recipe:
Wondering how to make apple muffins? Start with an easy muffin batter. Combine the dry ingredients, then the wet ingredients, mix them together, then bake! Here, let me break it down.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, ground cloves and ground nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, add the brown sugar, egg, sour cream, melted butter and vanilla extract. Mix for about 30 seconds using a hand mixer.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and fold using a silicone spatula. Once well combined, toss in the grated ginger and shredded apple. Fold it into the mixture.
- Spoon the muffin mix into greased or paper lined muffin cups and bake at 350 for between 20-25 minutes, depending on the size of your muffin tin. I used a large muffin tin, so they took 24 minutes. Repeat until you are all out of batter.
- You have the option to make a powdered sugar glaze to brush over the top, which consists of 3/4 cup powdered sugar to 2 tbsp of water or heavy cream.
Need a hand mixer? Can’t go wrong with a KitchenAid 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater!
When To Serve Cinnamon Apple Muffins:
These spiced muffins are the perfect recipe to make if you have a lot of apples. Say, after apple picking?
This can also be a great baked goods recipe for football Sunday. Another fall activity, football Sunday is pretty much mandatory in this household. But not everyone wants to munch on savory bites the entire day.
Try mixing things up and offering easy apple muffins! They taste nostalgically fall, and they will make your house smell phenomenal.
How To Freeze Them
Missing an ingredient? No problem! Let’s take a look at a few common ingredient substitutions that you can make.
|Sour Cream||Feel free to use plain Greek yogurt (any fat content) in replacement of the sour cream!|
|Milk||Any milk is fine, including any fat content dairy milk, or nondairy alternatives like almond milk, soy milk or oat milk.|
|Fresh Ginger||While I highly recommend using freshly grated ginger for flavor, if you find that you are out of it, try 1/2 tbsp of dry ginger powder.|
More Fall Recipes That You Will Love
If you like this recipe, you will love these other delicious autumn recipes!
Did you make this recipe? It would mean so much to me if you would rate it below the recipe card and tag me in your creation on Instagram so I can admire your work! @RecipeHippie
Cinnamon Apple Muffins Recipe
- hand mixer
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, not packed
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 small-medium apples, peeled and shredded, discarding the core (any variety you have is fine)
- 2 tbsp peeled grated ginger (I grated using a zester)
Optional Powdered Sugar Glaze
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp water, milk or cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Greese a muffin tin, or put paper muffin liners in the tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, ground cloves and ground nutmeg.
- In a separate medium bowl, add the brown sugar, egg, sour cream, melted butter and vanilla extract. Mix for about 30 seconds using a hand mixer.
- Using a silicone spatula, fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Once well combined, toss in the grated ginger and shredded apple. Fold it into the mixture. TIP: use a zester to grate your ginger for finer pieces.
- Spoon the muffin mix into greased or paper lined muffin cups and bake at 350 for between 20-25 minutes, depending on the size of your muffin tin. A toothpick should be able to be inserted without any batter sticking to it. Repeat until you are all out of batter.
For Powdered Sugar Glaze:
- You have the option to make a powdered sugar glaze to brush over the top. To make, whisk together 3/4 cup powdered sugar with 2 tbsp of water, milk or heavy cream. Add more liquid to reach desired consistancy. Once the muffins have cooled to room temp, brush with the glaze and sprinkle powdered sugar over the top. Enjoy!
If you like this fall muffins recipe, then you will LOVE my Chocolate Cherry Snickerdoodles recipe! It doesn’t use cream of tar-tar, because who has that laying around anyway?!
This chocolate cherry easy snickerdoodle recipe is self proclaimed as the best snickerdoodle recipe out there! I mean, who doesn’t love the sweet, woody flavor of cherries mixed with gooey milk chocolate and warm cinnamon. And no need to run to the store, because this is a snickerdoodle without cream of tartar recipe! It makes …