Is it possible for black beans to taste good with just 2 ingredients? I am here to tell you that YES! It is possible! Canned black beans can be a tricky item. They are really easy to throw into just about every meal, however they frequently don’t elevate the dish at all. They are kind of just there. Black beans offer an excellent source of plant based protein, but have you honestly ever said ” wow, the black beans in this casserole really elevate it to the next level!” What if I told you that after making this 2 ingredient black bean recipe I was quite literally spooning black beans into my mouth like it was chocolate cake! And all you need is a can of black beans, and a can of coconut milk (and salt and pepper to taste, but I’m not counting that!).
2 Ingredients, Explained:
You will find a lot of black bean recipes out there that add 10+ ingredients when they don’t have to! Why overwhelm the dish when it tastes FINE with just 2 shelf stable ingredients? I have been making this for years as a side and a topping for chicken, fish, tacos, and burritos. That being said, adding a few toppings to the beans can help to elevate the flavor. I added chopped red onion and scallions to my beans, but you definitely don’t have to! Stick to your two ingredients and awe your guests at how simple and tasty these beans are. This recipe is also vegan friendly, gluten free and is high in fiber!
The New Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 9-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Sterilizer, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker is here!
2 Ingredient Black Beans
- 1 13.5 oz can of coconut milk
- 1 13.5 oz can of black beans, liquid drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the black beans in a strainer and run under water until water runs clear.
- Place the beans in a medium sized pot, and pour the coconut milk over the top. Season with salt/pepper and stir to combine.
- Bring the pot to a slow boil, then lower to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer uncovered until the coconut milk becomes thick and the beans stick to your spoon, about 30 minutes.
- Option to garnish with red onion and scallions!
- This recipe is to show you how you can transform a can of black beans with just two ingredients, however if you are feeling like you want to experiment, adding the juice from canned chipotles in adobo sauce to this recipe would be amazing! Also, red pepper, red onion, and cilantro can be added after you add the coconut milk, as can the spices of cumin, paprika, and cayenne. The possibilities are truly endless!
Looking for something to serve with your ‘Two Ingredient Black Bean’ recipe? If so, go check out my ‘Crispy Instant Pot Wannamango Chicken’ recipe! These creamy beans go GREAT with the crispy sweet chicken!
If you want to try this recipe in the oven, or if you need a cute bean pot to serve your beans in, check out this Certified International Mariachi 2.5 Quart Bean Pot
The camera that I use is: Canon PowerShot SX530 HS 16.0 MP CMOS Digital Camera.