Talk about a ‘buttery flaky crust’! (If you don’t catch my reference there, go check out the youtube video ‘Bloopers: Baked In A Buttery Flaky Crust | “Buttery Flaky Outtakes‘. It makes me laugh every time!) This ‘Shiitake and Goat Cheese Galette’ is not only a stunner, it tastes AMAZING. There’s just something about the feeling of crust breaking off on your teeth and the sensation of warm cheese melting in your mouth. It truly is a godly experience.
Galette is an easy and elegant appetizer that you can customize however you like. Don’t have shiitake mushrooms? Don’t worry about it! You can use a variety of different ingredients to fill your galette! Try chicken and blue cheese! Or figs and goat cheese with a raspberry swirl for color! The alternatives are limitless. I decorated mine with a beautiful thin sliced watermelon radish because summer is around the corner and you can see that it bears quite a resemblance to its ‘iconic summer melon’ namesake!
Winc’s memorial day sale is going on through May 30th! Winc is a direct-to-consumer winery revolutionizing the way you discover, buy, and share wine. By working directly with vineyards and winemakers they are able to give their members access to exceptional, small-lot wines from around the world. Take their quiz where they ask you questions about your specific palate, and provide you a list of wines that you would enjoy!
Shiitake and Goat Cheese Galette
Ingredients for crust
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into thin pieces
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp agave nectar or honey
- 1 egg
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 watermelon radish a few thin slices cut into triangles for filling, and about 8-10 thin whole circles for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brandy or sherry
- 1 5.3oz container of Chavrie goat cheese
- 1 sprig thyme
- salt/pepper to taste
Instructions for crust:
- Combine flour, salt and butter pieces in a bowl. Using your hands or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour, breaking the butter up into tiny pea sized pieces. I found that squeezing the butter pieces with my fingers made this easier.
- In a seperate bowl combine the cold water, lemon juice, greek yogurt and agave. Stir to combine. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour your liquid mixture into the bowl. Stir to combine. Once again, I found this alot easier to do with my hands, where I could break up the pieces of butter.
- Wrap your dough ball in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours. Don't worry if if is a little sticky, we will be adding some flour to it later.
Instructions for filling:
- While the crust is cooling in the fridge, make your filling. First, clean your shiitake mushrooms by brushing off any dirt with a paper towel. Remove the bottom part of the stem, and cut large mushrooms into pieces, leaving the small mushrooms whole. Chop up your red onion.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet. Add your red onion and cook on medium/high for about 2 minutes.
- Now add the shiitake mushrooms and sprig of thyme(leave needles on sprig). Cook until mushrooms have sweated out any liquid, about 8-10 minutes. At this point, throw in your triangle cut watermelon radish, and garlic. Cook another 2 minutes, stiring frequently.
- Deglaze the pan with 2 tbsp of brandy or sherry, and cook another 60 seconds on high until all of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and place somewhere to cool (parchment paper on counter top works well). Remove the thyme sprig.
Instructions to make shiitake and goat cheese galette:
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Once your dough is cooled, transfer to a surface sprinkled with flour. Remove the dough from the plastic wrap and add about another 1/4 of flour to the surface of the dough. Smush the dough ball into a flat circle and roll with a rolling pin until about 1/4 of an inch thick, and about 12 inches in diameter.
- In a separate bowl, stir together goat cheese and mushroom mixture until fully combined (make sure to remove thyme sprig prior). Pour it into the middle of your galette. I like to place a few of the cooked mushrooms in the middle so they are visible. Leave about 1 1/2 inches on the sides of dough.
- Place the thin cut circles of watermelon radish around the outside of the filling.
- Now fold your galette dough over the filling, pleating as you go (see video). Leave an opening in the middle.
- Whisk 1 egg in a small dish and brush over the the pleated crust.
- Place in the oven on higher rack and bake until crust turns golden, about 45 minutes. Take out, let cool a few minutes before transferring to a serving dish. Drizzle with agave or honey and enjoy!
- Don’t worry if your dough is too sticky at first. Once you add the extra flour, it will be fine to roll out. Also, don’t worry if the butter pieces are not fully smushed in the dough. This won’t matter much once baked.
- The sharpness of the greek yogurt crust and the goat cheese calls for something sweet, so don’t forget to drizzle the honey or agave over the top at the end!
- It doesn’t have to be perfect! It will still look and taste AMAZING!
Did you like my ‘Shiitake and Goat Cheese Galette’ recipe? If so, go check out my ‘Easy Homemade Ramen Bowls‘ recipe!
Can Joanna Gains do any wrong?! I just love her style: Magnolia Table: A Collection of Recipes for Gathering:
What I would do for this ‘Vegan Leather Tufted Couch’!
Check out this Rustic Cake/Pie Stand!
Do you like the ‘salt’ bowl I use in my video? Get it here! ‘Hearth and Hand: Bundle 5 Piece Tableware Set‘