Healthy crockpot chicken fajitas recipe made in the slow cooker! All of that delicious traditional fajita flavor without the time spent charring the veggies and chicken. Just dump it all in your crock pot, set it and forget it. And almost all of the ingredients are whole foods and healthy spices!
It’s perfect for those busy days where you still want to eat healthy, but you also want to come home to a delicious dinner ready to eat!
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
Let’s be honest, life can get really hectic sometimes. That’s why having a few ‘dump dinner’ recipes in your back pocket can really make all of the difference. In this easy chicken fajitas recipe, all of the ingredients get tossed into a crock pot and are then slow cooked for 4-8 hours.
When you come home from work, you will have a steaming hot mixture of sweet onions and bell peppers and perfectly seasoned chicken in a super flavorful sauce. The crockpot does most of the work for you, and you get to reap the benefits!
And when you cook food in a slow cooker, you allow the flavors to take their time developing. The chicken (or any meat, for that matter) becomes perfectly tender and easily shredable. It makes for a wonderful family friendly recipe because it is healthy and easy to make, and it will likely give you leftovers for lunch the next day!
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Ingredients
This recipe is super versatile, so here are some common ingredients and ingredient substitutions that you can use.
How To Make Fajitas In Slow Cooker
We keep it REALLY simple here. No searing the chicken beforehand, just toss it all in the crockpot and let it do its thing!
Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and instructions!
- Add 1 can of diced tomatoes to the slow cooker, along with half of the sliced peppers and onions.
- Top them with the chicken thighs (or boneless skinless chicken breasts).
- Mix together the spices and sprinkle the fajita seasoning evenly over the top of everything. If you are in a pinch, you can also use premade taco seasoning.
- Top with half of a can of diced tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or cook on high for 4 hours to 6 hours.
- About 1-1.5 hours before it is set to be done cooking, add the rest of the sliced peppers and onions. This allows some of the veggies to maintain their textural integrity, and gives you a little crunch when you bite into them!
- When done, carefully remove the chicken and slice it into 1/4-1/2 inch wide strips.
- Serve crockpot chicken fajitas over warmed whole wheat or flour tortillas, rice or side of choice. Top with topping of choice.
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas Toppings
What toppings should you use for fajitas? Just about anything that you put on a burrito bowl will work, but here are a few suggestions.
What Makes This A Healthy Chicken Fajita Recipe?
Well, for one, almost all of the ingredients are whole ingredients that are not processed! All three colors of bell pepper are exceptionally rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants that fight free radicals in the body.
If you purchase organic free-range chicken, you are more likely to consume higher amounts of vitamins and minerals like Vitamins B, D,A and potassium since the chickens are allowed to roam free. One cup of chicken also boasts about 38 grams of protein, which helps your body repair cells and also make new ones.
While the tortilla wraps are a processed ingredient, opting for whole wheat tortillas provides higher amounts of complex carbohydrates and fiber, which helps to reduce cholesterol levels and may reduce your risk of heart disease. Fiber is also essential for proper digestion.
Check out this Homemade Tortilla recipe from Taste of Home!
If you are practicing a Mediterranean Diet, I suggest using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream (if you choose this topping). If you want to make it completely processed-ingredient-free, swap the wheat wrap for a bowl of brown rice.
But all in all, crock pot chicken fajitas are a pretty healthy dinner to serve your family!
Tips and Tricks
More Delicious Recipes To Try:
Did you make this crockpot chicken fajitas recipe? It would mean so much to me if you would rate it below the recipe card and tag me in your creation on Instagram so I can admire your work! @RecipeHippie
Healthy Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 bell peppers, preferably in different colors, cored and sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes 2 if you like it spicy!
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- fresh limes for squeezing
- 8 whole wheat tortillas Can also use flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup minced parsley or cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Pour 1 can of diced tomatoes into the bottom of a slow cooker. Top with half of the sliced bell peppers and onion. Place the chicken thighs directly on top.
- Mix together all of the spices and table salt (you can also use premade taco seasoning). Evely sprinkle the mixture over the slow cooker ingredients, making sure to coat the top of the chicken.
- Evenly spoon over half of the second can of diced tomatoes (save the other half for another recipe). Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-6 hours.
- 1 hour before the recipe is scheduled to be done cooking, add in the rest of the sliced bell peppers and onion and continue cooking for 1-1.5 hours.
- When chicken is done cooking (should register 165 degrees F), carefully remove it from the liquid and place it on a cutting board. Carefully slice it into strips. You can also shred it. (See notes about liquid)
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave for 20 seconds, or in the oven, then top with the sliced chicken and cooked bell peppers and onion. Squeeze over some lime juice, and top with toppings of choice.