This vegetarian creamy root vegetable casserole uses oat milk, cheddar and creamy mushroom soup to yield a cheesy, hearty dinner. All you need to prepare the vegetables is a peeler, a knife and a cutting board! Hand blending the cooked parsnips in oat milk makes an earthy and nutty base for the creamy mushroom soup. Other than the chopping and peeling, this recipe is very simple! Toss it in the oven to cook and finish it under the broiler for a crispy panko casserole topper!
This recipe can be easily converted into a vegan dinner! Swap out the cheddar for vegan cheese. Instead of the panko topper, try sprinkling nutritional yeast or hemp seeds over the top! And instead of creamy mushroom soup that uses dairy, you can substitute ANY vegan soup you like, just as long as it has a creamy consistency. Tomato basil soup or butternut squash soup would taste AMAZING mixed with the parsnip puree! Just make sure you are only adding 15 ounces or it may come out too watery.
You know who has a lot of GREAT vegan and vegetarian groceries that are delivered right to your door? Thrive Market!
Don’t forget to compost your scraps! Composting your waste at home reduces methane emissions, which are 28 times more potent than carbon dioxide. When you choose to compost your waste, it turns the process of natural decomposition into something that can benefit your own gardens! Compost is extremely rich in nutrients and microbes that plants love! We recycle our plastics bottles and tin cans, why not recycle our food scraps? If you are interested in composting, I recommend getting a large compost bin. Once you realize that you can put grass clippings and leaves in there, it is going to fill up FAST!
Try this ‘Garden Composter Bin Made from Recycled Plastic, 110 Gallon‘ compost bin. It is very similar to the one I have, so I know you will like it!
If you do not have a large yard for a large compost bin, this is a good alternative! It is 27 x 30 x 27 inches in size and has a super cute wooden exterior! ‘Leisure Season Outdoor Garden Compost Bin‘
And if you just need a small bin for your kitchen scraps, this ‘Farmhouse Compost Can Set with Lid and Charcoal Filters, 1.3 Gallon‘ bin is super cute.
Creamy Root Vegetable Casserole
- Hand blender or blender
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and chopped into small cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small acorn squash, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 4 ribs cellery, chopped
- 4 small red potatoes, cut into cubes
- 3 large parsnips, peeled and rough cut into pieces
- 1 large red onion, peeled and rough cut into pieces
- 1 cup oat milk (or heavy cream)
- 1 18oz can of creamy mushroom soup (if using concentrate, make sure to add water)
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided (can substitute vegan cheese!)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees.
- Place chopped and peeled parsnips into a medium sized sauce pan. Add 1 cup of oat milk, nutmeg, salt/pepper and bring to a simmer. Simmer uncovered until parsips are cooked through (a fork should easily go through them), about 20 minutes.
- While parsnips are cooking, peel and chop all other vegetables. Place butternut squash, acorn squash, carrots, cellery and red potatoes in a large bowl, reserving the chopped red onion.
- When parsnips are done, let them cool off of the heat for about 5 minutes. While they are cooling, heat a small skillet over medium/high heat. Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil and toss in red onion. Cook until begining to become translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Take a hand blender and puree the parsnips in oat milk until a smooth consistancy. If you don't have a hand blender, you can use a regular blender. Pour in your can of creamy mushroom soup and stir to combine. Now toss in the red onions and 1 cup of shredded cheddar and mix.
- Pour the parsnip/mushroom mixture over the vegetables and stir to fully coat. Pour the veggies into a large casserole dish. Top evenly with 1/2 a cup of shredded cheddar and 1/2 a cup of panko bread crumbs.
- Bake in the oven with the lid on for 48 minutes. Remove the lid and finish under the broiler for 2-3 minutes (keep an eye on it so it does not burn!). Enjoy!
- This dish is vegetarian, but would also taste GREAT with meat (if you eat meat)! Try adding some cooked sausage or grilled chicken to it! Just make sure it is cut into small enough pieces.
- If making this dish vegan, substitute the cheddar cheese for a vegan cheese! And instead of panko, try nutritional yeast or hemp seeds! You will also need to substitute the creamy mushroom soup for a vegan soup. Any soup will work, as long as its creamy!
- On that note, if you do not have creamy mushroom soup, literally ANY can of soup will work, as long as it is creamy!
Did you like my ‘Creamy Root Vegetable Casserole’ recipe? If so, go check out my ‘Crispy Tofu Bites’ recipe!