This ‘Butternut Squash Boats with Sausage, Eggplant and Toasted Chick Peas’ recipe is another one that you are going to want to keep around your kitchen. The versatility of the ingredients allows you to use whatever you have available to make a many different variations. For example, you can substitute your protein for shredded chicken, use a yellow onion instead of red, and substitute the canned spinach for canned corn/black beans! And for the toasted topper, if you don’t have toasted chick peas you can toast plain granola or pine nuts! Can you say ‘butternut squash boats with barbacoa and toasted pine nuts’?! The possibilities are really endless. For the toasted chick peas I crushed and toasted ‘Biena’ chick pea snacks because they provide a huge crunch factor. But if you have a can of chick peas at home you can easily make them! Here’s how:
How to make toasted chick peas from home:
It really is very simple. Rinse one 15 oz can of chick peas. Drizzle with enough olive oil to coat, and season. Place in 400 degree oven and cook for 25-35 minutes. That’s it! Just make sure to shake the pan a few times to turn the peas for even cooking.
Butternut Squash Boats with Sausage, Eggplant and Toasted Chick Peas
- 2 butternut squash, cut in half
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 sausages, casings removed
- 1 13.5 oz can of spinach I try to use organic when possible
- 1 13.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small eggplant, destemed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup 'Biena' chick pea snacks OR 1 cup of homemade toasted chick peas (see notes for how to make)
- salt/pepper as needed
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Cut butternut squash in half. Drizzle olive oil over insides of squash and season with salt/pepper. Place squash face down on foil lined baking sheet and bake in oven for 35 minutes, until a fork easily goes through the inside of the squash.
- While the squash is cooking, heat a large sauce pan or pot over medium high heat. Toss sausage in and cook until 1/2 done, about 3 minutes.
- Now toss in chopped eggplant and red onion. Cook until sausage and onions are done, about 8 minutes.
- Drain your can of spinach and add it to the pot. Cook until extra fluid evaporates, about 3 more minutes.
- Add pressed garlic to the pot and cook 30 seconds. After the garlic, add your can of crushed tomatoes. Mix to coat and cook another 5 minutes to allow all of the flavors to combine. Season with salt/pepper as needed.
- When the butternut squash is done, remove from the oven. Using a spoon, spoon out all of the insides of the squash, leaving the skin. Place the flesh into the pot with the sausage and stir to combine. Now fill the butternut squash boats back up with the sausage/squash mixture.
- Crush your previously toasted chick peas and sprinkle them over the top of each squash. Place squash boats back in the oven and bake another 8 minutes until the chick peas turn light brown. Remove and serve immediately!
- To make toasted chick peas: rinse one 15 oz can of chick peas. Drizzle with enough olive oil to coat, and season. Place in 400 degree oven and cook for 25-35 minutes. Make sure to shake the pan a few times to turn the peas for even cooking.
- If you do not have chick peas to toast, you can try plain granola or pine nuts, just adjust the ‘toasting time’.
Did you like my ‘Butternut Squash Boats With Sausage, Eggplant and Toasted Chick Peas’ recipe? If so, go check out my ‘Lemon Mustard Chicken With Turnip Puree‘ recipe!
Check out this ‘Biena Chick Pea Snacks Variety Pack‘! These little guys are honestly addicting. I am not sponsored by Biena, just wanted to share my love of crunchy chick peas with you all!