Roasted broccoli is simmered with almonds and blended to create an absolutely delicious and super healthy soup! It comes together fairly quickly and is loaded with vitamins, plant-based protein, and healthy fats. Despite only using a handful of ingredients, it isn’t short on delicious flavor. Trust me, broccoli feta soup with almonds is going to be your new obsession.
This is one of the healthiest soups that you can make. And it is absolutely delicious! Roasting the broccoli before adding it to the soup adds lots of extra savory flavor. Despite having no milk and no dairy, this soup is still extra creamy from the almonds and feta cheese!
The Health Benefits Of Broccoli Feta Soup With Almonds
Almond soup probably wasn’t a part of your vocabulary before seeing this recipe. It seems counterintuitive to combine nuts and soup, but it really does work! As long as the almonds are simmered until soft and blended using a high-speed blender, they meld perfectly into the soup.
And they are SO healthy!
There was a study done recently that showed that people with high cardiovascular risk on a Mediterranean Diet supplemented with nuts or extra virgin olive oil demonstrated an inverse association with diabetes incidence by 52% in comparison to the control group! Since this recipe has both, it is a great option for anyone starting the Mediterranean Diet.
How To Make Broccoli Soup
In this recipe we blanch the almonds while the broccoli is roasting. Here, let’s break it down. Make sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and instructions!
Place broccoli florets and garlic cloves on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes.
While the broccoli is roasting, blanch the almonds by placing them in a bowl and pouring boiling water over them. Let them soak for 10 minutes, then remove their skin. This should be very easy to do.
When the broccoli is done, remove it from the oven. Place a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Drizzle in olive oil, and sautee the chopped onion until it begins to become translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the roasted red chili paste to the pot and stir well for about 60 seconds before adding the vegetable broth, broccoli, garlic cloves, almonds, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.
Bring to a simmer, cover, lower the heat to medium, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When done allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes before transferring the mixture to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth (at least 60 seconds).
Transfer the soup back to the dutch oven and heat over medium heat until the desired temperature is reached. Add the lemon juice. Pour in the feta cheese and stir until melted. Serve with feta cheese and red pepper flakes sprinkled over the top and enjoy!
Here are some step-by-step photos to help you make this broccoli almond soup!
How To Make It Ahead of Time And Freeze
To make it ahead of time – complete all of the steps and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat – microwave it in 1-minute increments, stirring in between, until the desired temperature is achieved. You can also reheat it in a pot on the stove.
To Freeze – Freeze in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
Expert Tips For Flawless Execution
More Soup Recipes You Will Love
Did you make this broccoli soup with feta cheese recipe? It would mean so much to me if you would give it a star rating in the recipe card and tag me in your creation on Instagram so I can admire your work! @RecipeHippie
Broccoli Feta Soup with Almonds
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup unsalted raw almonds
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp roasted red chili paste this flavor is optional, but I enjoy it
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 5 ounces crumbled feta cheese save some for sprinkling over the bowls
- red pepper flakes
- crusty bread like sourdough
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees F, and bring about 3 cups of water to a boil on the stovetop.
- Spread the broccoli florets and peeled whole garlic cloves out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil, and toss to coat. Bake for 18 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- While the broccoli is baking, place the almonds in a bowl and pour boiling water over the top until they are fully submerged. Allow them to soak in the boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain the water and rinse with cold water so they are easy to handle.
- Using your fingers, remove the skin of the almonds. This step should be very easy, and they should easily come out of their skin.
- Place a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Drizzle in 1 tbsp of olive oil, and sautee the chopped onion until it begins to become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted red chili paste to the pot and stir well for about 60 seconds before adding the vegetable broth, roasted broccoli, roasted garlic cloves, blanched almonds, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, lower the heat to medium, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the soup is done simmering allow it to rest uncovered for 15-20 minutes before transferring the mixture to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth (at least 60 seconds). You may choose to do this in batches.
- At this point you will want to check the consistency and add more broth if you would like to thin it out.
- Transfer the soup back to the dutch oven and heat over medium heat until warm. Add the lemon juice. Pour in the feta cheese and stir until melted. Taste test, and add salt as needed.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with feta cheese and red pepper flakes sprinkled over the top. You can also serve it with a piece of crusty bread. Enjoy!