So, I have a confession to make…when I was growing up, I HATED spaghetti pie! What kid hates spaghetti pie?! It’s so fun and tasty! Well, lets just say the first time I had it I developed a stomach bug after and…you can imagine the rest. But this classic family dish made its way back into my life, and boy am I happy I gave it a second chance! It is fairly straight forward, and I actually think putting these standard ingredients in pie form makes them more enjoyable to cram down I MEAN eat…I hope you enjoy this quick spaghetti pie recipe. Check the notes below the recipe for tips on how to remove the pie from the pan, and what I recommend you serve it in!
- Pie dish
- 8 ounces spaghetti (this may seem like it is not enough, but trust me, it is! It is a little under half of a box)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 tsp Italian herbs puree (or fresh basil, oregano, thyme) (see notes at bottom for the puree I use)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 of a 14 ounce can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound ground beef (or nix for a meatless option)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup powdered Parmesan (shredded works too!)
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup mozzarella or shredded parmesan cheese
Instructions To Make Spaghetti Pie:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil: add 1 tsp salt to the water, then add the spaghetti. Stir until completely submerged and cook 10 minutes (until slightly al dente), stirring occasionally.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, heat up a saute pan. While it is heating up, chop the onion. Add raw ground beef and onion to the pan, stirring with a wooden spoon until the beef is completely broken up.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently, until the meat and onions are completely cooked.
- When the spaghetti is done, drain the water through a strainer and add the pasta back to the pot. Let it sit during next step.
- Add pressed garlic to the pan with the meat and onions, and cook 30 seconds. Throw in canned tomatoes and tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- While sauce is thickening, add butter, eggs and Parmesan to the pasta. Stir to coat the pasta completely.
- Spray your pie dish with Pam or grease with butter. Add the spaghetti to the pie dish, pressing it gently with your fingers to form a 'pie crust'. Crust should go up the sides of the dish.
- Mix together ricotta, herb puree and cornstarch. Spread this mixture over the spaghetti.
- Now top the spaghetti and ricotta with the meat sauce. Bake in oven for 25 minutes.
- Add your mozzarella or parmesan cheese to the top and put it back in the oven for 5 minutes. Take out and let the pie sit for at least 5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
- The Italian herb stir-in puree that I use is ‘That’s Tasty’ Organic puree. Once opened, it lasts refrigerated for 6 months, so it has become an absolute must have in my fridge. I use it all the time when I don’t have fresh herbs, and it tastes amazing. It includes oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, marjoram and other ingredients to make a fresh flavored, no mess puree.
- To remove the pie from the pie pan: This was the most difficult part of the recipe, I am not going to lie. It took 3 spatulas to do it properly! If you have the same issue, try baking it just a little bit longer to harden up the bottom.
- Looking to make this dish more aesthetically pleasing? Cooking it in this MacKenzie-Childs Stainless Steel Round Pie Plate would sure do the trick!
Did you enjoy my ‘Quick Spaghetti Pie’ recipe?
If so, go check out my ‘Crispy Garlic Chili Chicken‘ recipe! If you are craving home made Chinese food, this is the recipe for you! The secret ingredient is homemade garlic chili infused oil!
Looking to make this dish more aesthetically pleasing? Cooking it in this MacKenzie-Childs Stainless Steel Round Pie Plate would sure do the trick! I absolutely love MacKenzie-Childs. Her modern yet classic dinnerware is essential for any dinner party.