This healthy cod salad recipe is so simple and tasty! Flakey cod fish is sprinkled with dill and garlic powder, and is then placed in the oven to bake while you comprise the salad. What better way to compliment fish than…MORE FISH! We make a homemade ceasar salad dressing made with anchovy paste. The lemony anchovy dressing pairs beautifully with the fish topped salad, making this an awesome pescatarian dinner idea!
What Does This Healthy Cod Recipe Taste Like?
Soft baby kale is tossed with bright, raw red onion, juicy tomatoes and crunchy sliced carrots for the perfect balance of textures and acidity. Solid warm hard boiled eggs finish the greens and provide this dinner salad recipe with more necessary and filling protein. The lean and flakey cod is hearty yet delicate, and is carefully laid over the bed of salad. Homemade lemony Caesar salad dressing is drizzled over the fish salad for a creamy and bright finish.
All in all, every flavor and texture compliments one another, making this the perfect easy salad with fish recipe.
This hearty and vibrant mushroom and kale winter salad recipe is the perfect way to ward off the frosty blues! The warm barley salad is tossed with kale, earthy woodland mushrooms and warm tomatoes, then scattered with creamy goat cheese, root vegetables, dried figs and pumpkin seeds. It’s delicious, super healthy and absolutely stunning! What …
How To Make Baked Cod Salad:
Do you only have 5 minutes to prep? No problem! This healthy fish dinner is SO easy to make!
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare the cod. Sprinkle the top and sides of the cod with dried dill and garlic powder. Place it on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, drizzle with sunflower oil and place in the oven. Cook it until the fish is flakey and cooked through, about 15-18 minutes, depending on size.
- Prepare the salad. Toss baby kale with red onion, carrots and tomatoes. Place chopped hard boiled eggs around the boarder of the serving bowl.
- Make the homemade Caesar salad dressing: place egg yolks, minced garlic, lemon juice, mustard and anchovy paste in a dressing bowl and whisk until combined. Gradually begin adding the olive oil and sunflower oil while continuing to whisk until the dressing is thick and fully combined.
- When the fish is done cooking, remove the baking sheet from the oven and carefully place the cod the center of the salad. Top the salad with microgreens and chives, and serve with the caesar salad dressing! Enjoy!
What Makes This A Healthy Dinner Salad?
This unique and filling salad is not just a pretty plate! It is LOADED with nutrients to fuel your body and keep you energized!
|BABY KALE||Kale is a super food that is extremely nutrient rich. One cup has 134% daily value of vitamin C, 684% daily value of vitamin K, 206% daily value of vitamin A (from beta-carotene) and so much more! The antioxidants found in kale have been found to have anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-cancer properties.|
|LEMON JUICE||One lemon has 30.7 mg of vitamin C! That’s a little under half of the daily recommended value! Lemon juice also helps to improve the absorption of iron from plant foods. Feel free to squeeze a little extra into your caesar dressing for more vitamin C!|
|MICROGREENS||Just because we use them as a salad topper doesn’t mean they don’t provide loads of healthy benefits! Many microgreens can be found to have zinc, magnesium, potassium and iron. They aid the body in fighting free radicals with their antioxidants, and micro greens nutrients are highly concentrated when compared to mature greens, meaning they contain more of the recommended daily amount of vital nutrients.|
|COD||The star of this salad is also SO good for you! 4 oz of cod has only 138 calories and can contain a whopping 24 grams of protein! Cod is actually fairly low in mercury, contains b vitamins and is a good source of vital minerals like phosphorus and selenium.|
|EGG||Eggs, similar to cod, are also high in b vitamins and protein. Just one egg contains 6 grams of protein! They also contain choline, an important nutrient that many people are deficient in.|
Need a beautiful serving bowl to go with this beautiful salad recipe? I am using my KATE SPADE Laurel Street Bowl for this fish salad!
When To Serve This Baked Cod Recipe:
Because of how beautiful and bright this kale salad is, it is a wonderful salad to serve in the springtime or summertime. That is also when many of the ingredients are in season, and eating seasonally not only tastes better, but it helps to support sustainability in our farming system. When food doesn’t have to travel far to get where it is going (aka eating locally and in season), it has a higher nutrient content and has the potential to stay fresh longer.
Since this is such a high protein salad recipe, it also makes a great healthy post workout meal! It can also be a wonderful meatless Monday recipe idea.
Frequently Asked Questions:
|What if I hate anchovy’s?||SO many people absolutely despise anchovies, and I can’t really blame them. Many recipes with anchovy paste are strong, pungent and salty. But when used properly, like in this easy Caesar salad dressing recipe, they can really elevate a dish. To be quite honest, Caesar salad dressing tastes nothing like plain anchovies. If you have ever had Caesar salads at a restaurant, then you have likely already had caesar salad dressing with anchovies! So I say put your preconceived notions about anchovies to the side and give it a try with the anchovy paste.|
|Is it okay that the dressing has raw eggs in it?||Similarly to the above question, if you have had caesar salad dressing at a restaurant than you likely already had raw eggs in your dressing. That is how it is traditionally made. In California, it was actually illegal to consume Caesar salad for a while because of this exact reason! The law was remediated in 1998, and Caesar salad is now thriving again on the west coast. The choice is really up to you. If you are worried about consuming raw eggs, then it is totally acceptable to use store bought dressing, or to make your own without eggs.|
|Why baby kale vs regular kale?||If you put the two together, you wouldn’t even think they were from the same plant! The same goes for their texture and flavor. I like baby kale for salads like this because it is soft, easy to eat and the flavor does not outshine the fish. But hey, regular kale is totally fine too! Just note that it will be much denser, with a stronger more bitter flavor. To soften it, try massaging it with your hands, or quickly blanching it (then drying).|
Baked Cod Salad
- 8 oz cod fish
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil (or olive oil)
- 5 oz baby kale salad
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes (I used yellow and red for color)
- 1 tbsp chopped or sliced red onion
- 6 baby carrots, sliced into medallions, OR one large carrot sliced into medallions
- 4 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 small handfull of microgreens (I used purple radish microgreens)
- 1 small pinch of chives, chopped
Ingredients For Caesar Salad Dressing
- 1 1/2 tsp anchovy paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil (or vegetable oil)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare the cod: Place the cod on a parchment lined baking sheet, and sprinkle the top and sides with the dried dill and garlic powder. Drizzle with about 1 tbsp of sunflower oil or olive oil, and place the baking sheet in the oven. Cook until the cod is fully cooked through and flakey, which is about 15-18 minutes, depending on size and thickness.
- Prepare the salad: Toss baby kale with red onion, carrots and tomatoes. Place chopped hard boiled eggs around the boarder of the serving bowl.
- Make the dressing: Place egg yolks, minced garlic, lemon juice, mustard and anchovy paste in a dressing bowl and whisk until combined, about 60 seconds of hand whisking. Gradually begin adding the olive oil while continuing to whisk until the dressing is thick and fully combined. Do the same thing for the vegatable oil. Taste and adjust lemon, salt/pepper as needed.
- Plate: When the fish is done cooking, remove the baking sheet from the oven and carefully place the cod the center of the salad. Top the salad with microgreens and chives, and serve with the caesar salad dressing! Enjoy!
Did you like my Baked Cod Salad recipe? If so, you should go check out my Sesame Parsley Chimichurri recipe that would taste amazing on cod!
This bright and fresh sesame parsley chimichurri combines flavors like ginger, sesame and wasabi with garden-fresh parsley to yield a delicious and super flavorful asian sauce! It can be used on vegetables, or spoon it over meats like chicken, fish and steak. Parsley is so frequently overlooked in our refrigerators. We use up a few …